Crate of Vinyl Records

MilitariaCollector

Dec 17, 2008
I know this question is vague, but can anyone tell me if buying a crate of vinyl LP records to resell is worth it? I met a lady who was cleaning out a relative?s house and she was selling items in the house for a reasonable price. I remember seeing a crate of LP vinyl records in the original sleeves but did not look at them closely, as they are outside my area of knowledge. I do not recall titles, musical genre, etc. I know however that whenever I go to the flea market every week that when guys bring crates of records, a flock of people swarm them. If they buy anything or for how much is unknown. I?d consider buying the crate but I?m concerned that someone will search through them and then only find one record (if that), which they then will only want for $1.00. I would then get stuck with a big heavy crate full of them. Does anyone else who is a picker or sells at flea markets have advice? Are vinyl records like baseball cards, where most aren?t worth very much?

goldenwonderbear

Feb 27, 2014
CA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can get them 25 cents each and the records match the jackets, you might come out OK...............hal

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tuff call really covers mean allot ; Eras Mean allot ; Condition matters as does who the albums is.

People who sell Used albums usually have allot of people Paging through them.
going Down Memory Lane.
But if you Watch, Only a Rare Few find one worth Buying .
& I bet if they do, Odds are it's a Groupie or a friend of a groupie of certain 50's Singer like Elvis,
planning to buy it as a gift.

or The Artwork Can be Framed

older Christmas Albums may do Good Late Fall, when what's left of the pre-baby boomers get reminiscent.

I worked at a Used album stand for a very short Time in a Mall (week) allot of Lookers.
no one bought anything. Wondered why I was there, I guess the Owner wanted a week off :tongue3:

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MilitariaCollector

Dec 17, 2008
Thanks for the advice. It sounds like it is more trouble than it is worth, so I’m just going to leave them be if I go back to the house again.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice. It sounds like it is more trouble than it is worth, so I’m just going to leave them be if I go back to the house again.

That's my thought when I see albums. Ignoring them may be like Walking over a 1916-D dime and not picking it up to look.
There may be a Beatles Yesterday & Today Butcher Cover in the bunch. But what are the Odds ? Especially if you look ?

I Did make money Buying Boxes of 45's the Local Pawn shop was paying 25 Cents Each & I had Hundreds
They were used in Jukeboxs this was in the 90s already

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Most sell on epay for about 2 bucks each. Beatles albums will bring 5-10 if in good condition. If you find the soundtrack to the Caine Mutiny you might get 10 grand. 45 sleeves are worth more than the record. Good luck.

ken135

Sep 24, 2017
Indiana
Detector(s) used
F75LTD, G2+, Tesoro Mojave & Bandido 2 micro-max, Deep Tech GG & X
Primary Interest:
Other
There are many vinyl record websites on-line that tell you approximate values for all record formats (78 rpm, 33 1/3, 45 or 16) . Also use eBay when you select SOLD ITEMS,

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most aren’t worth anything so unless you really know what to look for, you’ll end up stuck with a heavy crate taking up room in your house. I wouldn’t bother.

Corvus

Jun 15, 2019
MN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Former record store clerk here. 99% of vinyl is worthless and condition is king. However, that 1% is fairly hot at the moment:
Punk bands, even current releases - punk collectors kept vinyl alive in the 1990s
Metal, the tinier the label, the better. If you can't read the font script of the band name, even more so.
60s garage / instrumental / surf bands
80s new wave
Psychedelic bands from the 60s/70s
70s/80s old-school rap / hip-hop
60s/70s funk, especially blaxploitation soundtracks - DJs buy it all up to sample from
Weird easy-listening/lounge music from the 50s, especially if outer space themed
Promotional radio shows, such as Casey Kasem's American Top 40
Experimental/synth/industrial music, especially imports - I collect this
techno / rave 12" singles from the 90s
Sealed/old store stock, even if an otherwise common release
Beatles/Elvis records are over-rated (they made millions of 'em) but have a market with the kiddos as wall-art.
Country is pretty much dead, unless Johnny Cash, Hank Williams (all 3), Hank Snow, or "outlaw country' such as Waylon Jennings or Willie Nelson
Everything else (such as Streisand/Herb Albert) is probably future land-fill: check discogs.com for any possible value

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread