What's new

CW Picket Bullet?

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2011
Messages
2,523
Reaction score
1,396
Golden Thread
0
Location
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found this near Culpeper, VA recently. Someone else ID'd it as a "picket bullet." Can anyone elaborate? It's about 7/8" long and 7/16" wide at the base. I see it referenced on page 22 (#18) of McKee's and Mason's book: "picket type for country rifle." What, exactly, is a "country rifle?"

I see Shiloh Relics has one listed for $42.00.
 

Attachments

  • picket1.webp
    picket1.webp
    181.6 KB · Views: 237
  • picket2.webp
    picket2.webp
    113.9 KB · Views: 178
  • picket3.webp
    picket3.webp
    126.5 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
Upvote 10
Pickets come in many calibers and lengths. They are civilian bullets and were crudely made using a gang mold. Though it is widely accepted that pickets are civilian no one knows if any were fired in the civil war. More than a 1000 types of bullets were used both made in the USA and imports from Germany France and others. I would say that this is a picket bullet the oxidation looks correct to date it pre CW and a very nice find indeed. But I would not put it in the CW category. Country Rifles are simple farm rifles Non government issue (used to fire pickets :) )

Cheers
 
Thanks. Can't know for sure, but there were camps and pickets at this site, so good possibility it's CW related and someone else found one identical to mine. Thanks for the input!
 
Richard, we dig them in early C.S.A. camps and, as TK says, there are many varieties. They were used in hunting rifles brought from home as I understand it. Nice find and we value the ones from Morgan's Confederate camps. HH, Q.
 
Richard, we dig them in early C.S.A. camps and, as TK says, there are many varieties. They were used in hunting rifles brought from home as I understand it. Nice find and we value the ones from Morgan's Confederate camps. HH, Q.
Vol, That makes tons of sense. Where are you in North Middle? I'm in Nashville in May and I would absolutely do back flips to ping a CW field. Um we don't have many in California Sniff

Cheers
 
Richard, we dig them in early C.S.A. camps and, as TK says, there are many varieties. They were used in hunting rifles brought from home as I understand it. Nice find and we value the ones from Morgan's Confederate camps. HH, Q.

Thanks Q. What do you think about the price being asked for one of them at Rafael's website?
 
Thanks Q. What do you think about the price being asked for one of them at Rafael's website?

They are usually priced from $35-50 Richard according to size and rarity. We mostly dig the cone and pyramid shaped ones here. HH, Q.
 
They are usually priced from $35-50 Richard according to size and rarity. We mostly dig the cone and pyramid shaped ones here. HH, Q.

Thanks Q.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom