CW “U.S.” Bit Boss + More at new location!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Folks, on Sunday I took a turn onto a country road not far from my house that I had never been on since we moved to the NC Mountains. I’m sure glad I did, because I drove past numerous old house that looked very promising. One in particular was a large 1800’s house sitting up on a hill with a beautiful view. I pulled in, spoke to the owner, and gained permission. We talked for about 30 minutes and he told me the history of the place which used to be a huge farm. The house was built in the 1860’s.

Today was my first attempt at the place. Armed with the mighty Tesoro Vaquero, my first two targets were a wheat penny and a square nail. Yahoo, this l@@ked promising! :hello2:
I spent about three hours there today and only detected part of the front yard.

I was pleasantly surprised to dig a Civil War Union Cavalry “US” bit boss very close to the house.:thumbsup: I couldn’t believe my eyes, and had to call my buddy Quindy to tell him what I had dug. I also told him about all the small horseshoes I was digging. Actually, I asked him if they were goat shoes, and he laughed telling me goats didn’t wear shoes. LOL. Boy did I feel stupid. :tongue3:

My finds today were:

*US Civil War bit boss

*Badge with “Parker / Davis” on it. Turns out Judge Alton Parker ran against Theodore Roosevelt in 1904, and lost of course. Millionaire Henry Davis from WV was his running mate.

*A nickel trifecta – 1884 “V” nickel, 1938 Buff nickel, and a 1960 Jefferson. The 4[SUP]th[/SUP] nickel was also a “V” nickel but it was too worn to get a date off of.

*Three wheat pennies – oldest one was 1911.

*Old oval brooch/pin/ or clip – Any ideas?

*Gold plated hair clip, button w/white ceramic (?) top, Hem weight.

*”Mail” / “RFD” (Mayberry ?) lock

*Old lighter – Any idea on the age?

*Lots of farm related iron relics – Any idea on the spike?

Well, that’s all Folks! Off to a pretty good start. No silver yet. :icon_scratch:
Thanks for l@@king,
MM

Attachments

• IMG_0535.JPG
    IMG_0535.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_0536.JPG
    IMG_0536.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0537.JPG
    IMG_0537.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_0538.JPG
    IMG_0538.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0539.JPG
    IMG_0539.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0544.JPG
    IMG_0544.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0543.JPG
    IMG_0543.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0542.JPG
    IMG_0542.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0541.JPG
    IMG_0541.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0540.JPG
    IMG_0540.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0545.JPG
    IMG_0545.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0546.JPG
    IMG_0546.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0547.JPG
    IMG_0547.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0548.JPG
    IMG_0548.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0549.JPG
    IMG_0549.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0550.JPG
    IMG_0550.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 116
Upvote 13

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It was apparent you were excited about the bit boss and should have been. You got the stippled version as well. Very nice finds & more to come. That is a Mayberry U.S. Mail lock used by Barney Fife-LOL. Congrats & HH, Q.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was apparent you were excited about the bit boss and should have been. You got the stippled version as well. Very nice finds & more to come. That is a Mayberry U.S. Mail lock used by Barney Fife-LOL. Congrats & HH, Q.

Thanks for your help today Q. You are like a walking CW encyclepedia. :tongue3:
Hopefully there will be a few more CW relics surface at this place.
-DUHg-

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice variety of finds Doug. Like the bit boss, is that the first one you have found?

Thanks Mike. Yep, that's the first one I've dug. I have dug a few "US" trace chains before though.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that site has a really good range of finds. The bit boss is nice. I have a rural free delivery lock just like that. Very nice MM. I thought goats wore shoes as well? Congrats on a great new site. The Parker/Davis badge is a cool relic as well. Good luck next time there.
HH

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew you'd find the old spots around there! Just a matter of time. And what a great site that's turning out to be! No telling what all you're gonna find, and I can't wait to see. Love the US bit boss!
Nana :)

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I must be holding my metal detector in the wrong hand or something! Been hunting for about 4 months now and have yet to find anything cool like a couple of those items. I especially liked the Parker-Davis badge. Good luck on your next visit to that house.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Silly man! Only sheep wear the little shoes! Looks like you have a promising site. That's the first bit boss I remember being posted here in the past year. Must be nice to have your own personal advisor ( Mr. Q ). I have had to wait till someone else finds stuff and posts the pic to ID my whatzits, lol. You should ask to join the trio. I already have the name picked out - Quindy's Quadruplets. I wish you much luck!

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the compliments MM & OD but I'm certainly not a CW relic expert and don't profess to be. Cannonball Guy IS a CW artillery & relic expert & has helped me & many other Tnet members identify relics. Get back to that site TODAY MM before the poachers get there-LOL. When Dman & TENN JOSH finish their books on how to locate sites & how to i.d. relics, you guys can buy a copy-LOL. HH, Q.

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Extra nice haul D! :thumbsup: Of course I love the Pit Boss, but my next fav is the Parker-Davis watch fob. I like the cigarette lighter too; 40s-50s? Those little shoes were on the Munchkins' horses when Dorothy was on her way to Oz. :tongue3:

:)
Breezie

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great bunch of finds. I have a bit boss like that one. It was actually my very first CW find and what got me excited about metal detecting again after several years hiatus. In the 12th picture, the one right before the lock/lighter picture, the item on the bottom of the 3 pictured is a piece off of a parasol/umbrella. Cool little find and I have a couple that I've found on Civil War-early 1800's sites. With the variety of finds you have there, I would say it's a safe bet that you're going to turn up a few old coins eventually. Hunt it slow and thoroughly, my best coins have been little "squeakers" that a lot of people wouldn't hear because they were too hasty. Good luck and Happy hunting.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much everyone!!! :thumbsup:

That Parker / Davis tag was a real surprise. I didn't see anything on it until I cleaned it up. I thought it was Jefferson Davis. LOL. Hell, Mac Davis or Sammy Davis probably would have done better against Roosevelt.
I did a Google search and saw one non-dug sell for $52. It was the only one I could find. The others just said "Parker / Davis - 1904" on them.

I've been dying to dig some CW relics since we moved, and there wasn't much CW action here where we live now, so the US bit boss was a real treat. Hopefully I can find the other one, some bullets, and buttons, but I'm not getting my hopes up too high.

Heading back over there today.
-MM-

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great bunch of finds. I have a bit boss like that one. It was actually my very first CW find and what got me excited about metal detecting again after several years hiatus. In the 12th picture, the one right before the lock/lighter picture, the item on the bottom of the 3 pictured is a piece off of a parasol/umbrella. Cool little find and I have a couple that I've found on Civil War-early 1800's sites. With the variety of finds you have there, I would say it's a safe bet that you're going to turn up a few old coins eventually. Hunt it slow and thoroughly, my best coins have been little "squeakers" that a lot of people wouldn't hear because they were too hasty. Good luck and Happy hunting.

Thanks SS. I remember digging my first CW relic too. It was a 3-ringer next to a large oak tree. I was hooked after that and ended up finding a lot of CW relics on that property.

Yesterday I "super tuned" my Vaquero according to a video by "53SILVER" on YouTube. It worked well, as I usually never find many nickels. I was getting small deep signals and digging them. Lots of iron nails too.
Thanks for the reply,
MM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread