Danville, Indiana ; Sarah Sabina Cummings 1919.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Omaha daily bee. (Omaha [Neb.]), 07 Dec. 1919.

000aaa.jpg

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...xt=&andtext=&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=73

ken135

Sep 24, 2017
Indiana
Detector(s) used
F75LTD, G2+, Tesoro Mojave & Bandido 2 micro-max, Deep Tech GG & X
Primary Interest:
Other
This murder-treasure legend actually occurred in Hoopeston, IL, near the Indiana border and was reported by many newspapers in Indiana. Thus, the reporting in the Omaha newspaper from the Danville, IN. newspaper. Also, Hoopeston, IL is just north of Danville, IL

Below are a few clippings from several Indiana newspapers. Was an interesting murder that was still unresolved as of 1922. I didn't research any further to see if they found the murder(s). Perhaps someone from Illinois could further research the story.

Cummings Sabina Winslow Dispatch Jan 16 1920 part-1.JPG Cummings Sabina Winslow Dispatch Jan 16 1920 part-2.JPG Cummings Sabina Winslow Dispatch Jan 16 1920 part-3.JPG Cummings Sabina Winslow Dispatch Jan 16 1920 part-4.JPG

Cummings Sabina Oxford Gazette Nov 14 1919 part-1 .JPG Cummings Sabina Oxford Gazette Nov 14 1919 part-2 .JPG Cummings Sabina Oxford Gazette Nov 14 1919 part-3 .JPG Cummings Sabina Oxford Gazette Nov 14 1919 part-4 .JPG

June 6, 1922
Cummings Sabina Attica Tribune June 6 1922 .JPG

Legacy X

Aug 11, 2021
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Couldn't help myself on this. Attached is a pic from plat map 1915 for the exact area. The line outlined is Thompson east which is talked about in the article. After reviewing what you two shared it seems she lived just right outside the city limits off Thompson and she in fact did own the home. Also we should be able to see her daughters property about a half mile away from hers with her married name. Of course the issue is this plat is 1915 and this happened a few years later but with them saying she owned it and spoke about other attempts over the years because everyone in town knew it kind of gave the impression she was living in the same place for a very long time. One thing I did notice is her husband passed 7 or 8 years before so I guess its possible that after he passed she moved to the area off Thompson therefore that is why I can't find her.

Anyway if you guys want to take a look at tell me if I am missing anything let me know. Like I said this is 1915 plat focused on the exact area her name and a few others in the article should be listed on. I would love to run my detector across that yard let me tell you haha. I LOVE the found cache leads almost more than the lost cache leads. Just because pre tech it would be so damn easy to miss another cache. Hints the thousands of articles we all find about caches found by accident years later. This is the latest plat I could find for the area that was in timeframe we need.

1915VermillioncountyHoopestonplat.jpg

ken135

Sep 24, 2017
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Rich - thanks for posting map.

I did a little more digging and found more info. Not sure if it helps. I always worry about the validity of info given to reporters.
This article mentions finding two pots of money buried in the back yard. So this would be a great place to metal detect.

Cummings Dec1919.JPG

This article mentions that Sabina Cummings owned 800 acres of farm land somewhere else. Not necessarily with another home site.

Cummings Nov1919 -800 acres.JPG

Now the interesting part from a neighbor. Her brother died in the same house seven years earlier and they found hidden money, also.
Supposedly, Sabina inherited it.

Fred Berkley brother owned house qm 1919.JPG

But did she inherit the house? If so, then we probably should be checking for her brother's name on the land, also. He died ~1912. Or did another family member inherit the house?
On the 1915 map, right where we would think the house would be is a piece of land with Ben Berkley as the owner. Fred's brother? May have to go to the county records to solve this mystery.

Ben Berkley 1915 map.JPG

Since I can still edit this post, I'll add these additions here.

There was a son-in-law Fred arrested after the murder. But I couldn't find anything about her brother Fred.

Fred Buehler Nov20-1919.JPG
Thanks to Jeff for posting this on the Illinois thread.

But I did find a brother Benjamin in the 1900 and 1910 census. Being listed as the "Head", he probably owned the house.

Census 1900b.JPG

If anyone gets a chance to hunt Ben's land, please update this thread.

Last edited:

CanSlawKing

May 9, 2016
Longmont, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not related to the land, but found this from a South Dakota paper (Mellette County Pioneer), dated April 16, 1920.

Can't seem to insert photo or upload as an attachment. Here's what it said:

"Acquitted of Murder Charge
Danville, Ill. - Fred Buehler, Mary H. Buehler and Sophia, their 24-year-old daughter, were found not guilty by a circuit court jury of the murder of Mrs. Sabina Cummings, of Hooperston, Ill., the aged mother of Mrs. Buehler."

Last edited:

ken135

Sep 24, 2017
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Found a map view of Hoopeston 1915. Shows Ben Berkley' land better.

Hoopeston 1915.JPG

Also came across this 1901 article which might be of interest while you're in Hoopeston.

Hoopeston Park is the Old Fairgrounds 1901 Newspaper Article.JPG

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not related to the land, but found this from a South Dakota paper (Mellette County Pioneer), dated April 16, 1920.

Can't seem to insert photo or upload as an attachment. Here's what it said:

"Acquitted of Murder Charge
Danville, Ill. - Fred Buehler, Mary H. Buehler and Sophia, their 24-year-old daughter, were found not guilty by a circuit court jury of the murder of Mrs. Sabina Cummings, of Hooperston, Ill., the aged mother of Mrs. Buehler."

couldn't find that one but

attachment.php

Attachments

• 000jkui.jpg
    000jkui.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 65

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread