What's new

Decent Haul Today at Early 1900s House

MineEyes92

Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2022
Messages
60
Reaction score
253
Golden Thread
0
Did some detecting at a house built in the early 1900s. Found a lid to an old Vaseline jar, a UMC shotgun shell base, a little religious medallion, and two silvers: a '60 Washington and a '25 Merc. Was hoping someone here could tell me more about the medallion. It says "Italy" on the back and rang in the 70s on the AT Pro. Thanks for the help everyone.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20221202_145658380_HDR.webp
    IMG_20221202_145658380_HDR.webp
    334 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_20221202_135038296.webp
    IMG_20221202_135038296.webp
    372.3 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_20221202_135102747.webp
    IMG_20221202_135102747.webp
    378 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_20221202_134739658.webp
    IMG_20221202_134739658.webp
    504 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_20221202_134734314.webp
    IMG_20221202_134734314.webp
    502.5 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_20221202_131745330.webp
    IMG_20221202_131745330.webp
    612.6 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_20221202_131738882_HDR.webp
    IMG_20221202_131738882_HDR.webp
    426.8 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_20221202_125527773_HDR.webp
    IMG_20221202_125527773_HDR.webp
    384 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_20221202_125517977_HDR.webp
    IMG_20221202_125517977_HDR.webp
    481.6 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_20221202_114829382_HDR.webp
    IMG_20221202_114829382_HDR.webp
    709.2 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_20221202_114832582_HDR.webp
    IMG_20221202_114832582_HDR.webp
    577.9 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_20221202_145655156_HDR.webp
    IMG_20221202_145655156_HDR.webp
    382.4 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_20221203_101907890.webp
    IMG_20221203_101907890.webp
    152.8 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20221205_220212835.webp
    IMG_20221205_220212835.webp
    409.7 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Upvote 42
Did some detecting at a house built in the early 1900s. Found a lid to an old Vaseline jar, a UMC shotgun shell base, a little religious medallion, and two silvers: a '60 Washington and a '25 Merc. Was hoping someone here could tell me more about the medallion. It says "Italy" on the back and rang in the 70s on the AT Pro. Thanks for the help everyone.
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!
 
What do you need to know about the pendant - looks 1940s Catholic from Italy. May have been brought back after WWII.
 
The silver coins are great, but the pendant is my fav- Congrats!
 
Did some detecting at a house built in the early 1900s. Found a lid to an old Vaseline jar, a UMC shotgun shell base, a little religious medallion, and two silvers: a '60 Washington and a '25 Merc. Was hoping someone here could tell me more about the medallion. It says "Italy" on the back and rang in the 70s on the AT Pro. Thanks for the help everyone.
Good haul, that pendant is really nice looking. Awesome find.
 
I'm pleasantly surprised by how popular the pendant seems to be. I'll definitely treasure it for sure. Also, I decided to take another look at the shotgun shell. I rubbed the dirt off the bottom of the backstamp, and it looks like it says the word "Smokeless". I did some research, and it looks like that particular headstamp from UMC dates from 1892-1902, which would make it older that the house on the property.
 
What do you need to know about the pendant - looks 1940s Catholic from Italy. May have been brought back after WWII.
I was just interested in how old people thought it was or if it was a common religious pendant like the Miraculous Medal. I don't think I've ever seen one with this design before, and I'm not sure what metal it's made out of.
 
Did some detecting at a house built in the early 1900s. Found a lid to an old Vaseline jar, a UMC shotgun shell base, a little religious medallion, and two silvers: a '60 Washington and a '25 Merc. Was hoping someone here could tell me more about the medallion. It says "Italy" on the back and rang in the 70s on the AT Pro. Thanks for the help everyone.
Great hunt!
 
Great finds - well done !
 
I'm pleasantly surprised by how popular the pendant seems to be. I'll definitely treasure it for sure. Also, I decided to take another look at the shotgun shell. I rubbed the dirt off the bottom of the backstamp, and it looks like it says the word "Smokeless". I did some research, and it looks like that particular headstamp from UMC dates from 1892-1902, which would make it older that the house on the property.
Great day of digging, congrats on the silvers and the pendant.

The head stamp is interesting, hunter from an earlier time.
That or just old shells that got used up?
I say this because remembering the drawer of 12Ga. shells, there were always a few rolling around that were 30+yrs old.
Just never used up, but when the time came to practice, or warrant a shot, they were used then-just to use them up.
 
It does of course show Italy, clean it up really nice, and look closely on the back, you MIGHT see "Ster" or something like that for Sterling silver, or, I might just be seeing a Silver wash or remains of a silver plate on it.
 
Nice hunt and saves. Like the others, the religious pendant is my favorite. Congrat's.
 
It does of course show Italy, clean it up really nice, and look closely on the back, you MIGHT see "Ster" or something like that for Sterling silver, or, I might just be seeing a Silver wash or remains of a silver plate on it.
I found an ebay seller who appears to have a more pristine version of this pendant for sale. I can't seem to find any markings on it suggesting it's sterling, gold, or any other precious metals, but I could be wrong. I did try wiping the dirt off mine the other day, but I'm scared of snapping part of that thin outer ring. I will say that there does appear to still be a silver-like finish under the dirt. I would think that wouldn't be the case of it was silver plated. Could it be pewter or maybe aluminum? It is pretty light, but then again it's a pretty thin piece with fairly little material aside from that orange piece in the center.
 

Attachments

  • s-l400-1.webp
    s-l400-1.webp
    21 KB · Views: 68
  • s-l400.webp
    s-l400.webp
    22.8 KB · Views: 65

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom