Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a nice 3 hr hunt with my trusty DeLeon today.
A nice ladies ring, 28 pennies, 1 nickel, 3 dimes. 8 quarters, old key, and a toy car.
The ring is really pretty. I wish I knew how to post a pic. I tried, but without success.
The ring was approx 4" deep, and rang up as a penny and a quarter. My very first find of the day.

That's the 3rd ring the DeLeon has found me this year. The other two are sterling, but I am not sure about todays. I just know it's not costume.

Anyways, grandson and I had a wonderful afternoon. He said the toy car goes in his treasure box.

Everything was found with these settings:
01:00 threshold; discrimination between iron and foil; sensitivity @ 5.

Still looking for my first silver, old nickels and IH.

Electricfrontporch

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you had a good hunt! Congratulations

Easy way to resize pics so you can post them is to post on Facebook then resave the pic.
It resizes when you upload to Facebook. Or if you have a PC you can resize in the Paint program.

Noah

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vern, I don't know how you access this forum but on my ipad, I use "ImageResizer" to cut down image size.

Congratulations on another ring! Found a "fool's gold" ring myself today...gold anodized aluminum. :tongue3:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats!!! :occasion14:

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vern, I don't know how you access this forum but on my ipad, I use "ImageResizer" to cut down image size.

Congratulations on another ring! Found a "fool's gold" ring myself today...gold anodized aluminum. :tongue3:

Thanks! And congratulations to you too. I'm taking mine to a jewelry store next week to find out about the metal content. For the life of me and other family members, can't read the writing inside the band. Fun time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Vern!!
I see that you've found that running the sensitivity lower makes a more stable hunt and more stable readouts. I found the same. It's the first piece of advice I give to new Deleon owners.

Sound like you had one heck of a hunt!!!
Very nice and thanks for the readout on the ring!!

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Stefan. I have just applied what you and Bibelot advice me to do, early on. Thanks again.
The Deleon gets better and better. It's been said zillions of time on this forum: "Get to know your machine." How true. I am just happy to know there is much more to learn about my Deleon.
The future looks bright, but I have to hurry, I'll be 71 in a few months, back problems, and arthritis in both hands. All in all though, this is a great time to be me. Love it.

bibelot

Apr 23, 2016
Avoca,NY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver sabre II, XP Deus, Makro racer, Aka Berkut 5, Aka Signum MFT, Makro red racer, Makro Racer 2,Makro Multi Kruzer, Makro Multi Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had a nice 3 hr hunt with my trusty DeLeon today.
A nice ladies ring, 28 pennies, 1 nickel, 3 dimes. 8 quarters, old key, and a toy car.
The ring is really pretty. I wish I knew how to post a pic. I tried, but without success.
The ring was approx 4" deep, and rang up as a penny and a quarter. My very first find of the day.

That's the 3rd ring the DeLeon has found me this year. The other two are sterling, but I am not sure about todays. I just know it's not costume.

Anyways, grandson and I had a wonderful afternoon. He said the toy car goes in his treasure box.

Still looking for my first silver, old nickels and IH.
I like coming to this forum and reading this. You are getting better with the machine now Terry, congrats on the ring and things. When you least expect it, silver coins and old indianheads will surface in the digs.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you Ivan.
As I said above, the ring was our first find of the day. My almost 7 yr old grandson, Andy, went bonkers. I had to verbally quiet him down. He actually saw it first so he laid claim. It now belongs to his grandmother.
Everybody's happy.
What a fun hobby.

roceda

Nov 12, 2007
Louisiana
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The future looks bright, but I have to hurry, I'll be 71 in a few months, back problems, and arthritis in both hands. All in all though, this is a great time to be me. Love it.
I know what you mean by hurrying. My health situation is likened to yours and I had triple bypass heart surgery at 71, and that was three years ago. Congratulations on your finds and especially the memories you are making with your grandson. Ron

wheatymike

Dec 31, 2011
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus, Compadre. Deleon.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool find. I also have a Deleon and have enjoyed reading all your post. Keep up the good fun!

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys. Ron, my mother will be 99 in July, and still cooks, and just quit driving at 96. So I figure I got a few good years left. Good genes. Hope so for you too. Discomfort is not a state of mind, but you do kind of get used to it.

I must have done 50 squats and knee bends yesterday, digging holes. Now tell me, how many of your non-metal detecting buddies can do this? That's why we so tough pal. No couch potatoes 'round here. Senior power!!

bibelot

Apr 23, 2016
Avoca,NY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver sabre II, XP Deus, Makro racer, Aka Berkut 5, Aka Signum MFT, Makro red racer, Makro Racer 2,Makro Multi Kruzer, Makro Multi Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Vern2 said:

Now leave your discrimination knob set where it's at and start tweaking the threshold and sensitivity knobs. Threshold is responsible for providing the hum in the background which creates the signal noise when you pass your coil over a target. The sensitivity controls what the processor identifies and passes on to you so you can distinguish targets that are signaled.

Too high of a threshold with a low sensitivity setting can actually null the target signal. sometimes you will hear a snap sound or a dead silence when the threshold nulls out a target from improperly set.

The higher the sensitivity setting, the lower the threshold setting becomes therefore you will want to turn the threshold up when you increase the sensitivity, turn it down as you decrease the sensitivity.

Too high of a sensitivity setting will cause false targets that aren't there and for whatever reason will borderline null quarters out so the ID isn't telling you to dig the quarter. The whole quarter thing is from a imbalance of the three settings actually but sensitivity has the most influence on it. You are wondering why I said three when you only have two controls ? Gain is also part of the threshold/ sensitivity control. It doesn't have its own setting control ,therefore it is controlled from where you have the threshold/sensitivity settings at.

If it sounds difficult, it really isn't. What you can do is get a coin signal, move the settings to see how it effects the signal , see which makes the signal stronger and clearest ID response. I use a quarter to set my controls to the optimum signal for that area or hunt. I use the quarter targets because they seem to be the most affected by improperly set threshold/sensitivity settings.

Just remember the higher the sensitivity, the higher you are going to adjust your threshold setting, the lower the sensitivity, you'll need to back the threshold down as well. With being able to adjust to a known good target in the ground, you should be able to adjust your sensitivity and threshold higher and achieve a more depth but maintain stability and stable ID verification. Before long , it will become second nature and you will be one with the machine, knowing from experience behind the machine. The basic setting that I gave you works fairly well but you can tweak it to really make it come into its own.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Ivan
Thank you for sharing this information and instructions with me, and others.
I actually have figured out most of this on my own. It's not unusual at all for me to do exactly as you say. Works too.

What you have to say is a tremendous confirmation that I am doing something right. You have been a big help to me from the get go, and I appreciate it more than you know. I am sure there are others who feel the same way.

There are also others who contribute good stuff to newbies too.
Like Stoofs, Terry S., Terry C., Monte, pinenut, wheatymike, Electricfrontporch, just to name a few off the top of my head. The "beep and dig" is the best thing going. Plus we have a lifetime warranty on our MDs.

Thanks again! !

Last edited:

bibelot

Apr 23, 2016
Avoca,NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi Ivan
Thank you for sharing this information and instructions with me, and others.
I actually have figured out most of this on my own. It's not unusual at all for me to do exactly as you say. Works too.

What you have to say is a tremendous confirmation that I am doing something right. You have been a big help to me from the get go, and I appreciate it more than you know. I am sure there are others who feel the same way.

There are also others who contribute good stuff to newbies too.
Like Stoofs, Terry S., Terry C., Monte, pinenut, wheatymike, Electricfrontporch, just to name a few off the top of my head. The "beep and dig" is the best thing going. Plus we have a lifetime warranty on our MDs.

Thanks again! !

I was just trying to help. Yes, super good people here, I followed Steve here when he got banned at the other site. I'm glad to see the forum actually picking up from it was when I joined.

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was just trying to help. Yes, super good people here, I followed Steve here when he got banned at the other site. I'm glad to see the forum actually picking up from it was when I joined.

You certainly have helped me.

jwm45

Sep 5, 2011
south texas
Detector(s) used
,f-5,simplex 2.68: simplex + 2.78
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Del leon

Thanks Stefan. I have just applied what you and Bibelot advice me to do, early on. Thanks again.
The Deleon gets better and better. It's been said zillions of time on this forum: "Get to know your machine." How true. I am just happy to know there is much more to learn about my Deleon.
you think you have problems with health.I have three spinal-fusions and one neck fusion plus Bone on Bone arthritis on my right shoulder and arthritis on both thumbs and 1am 76, but that does not keep from down.IF you stop YOU "FREEZE UP".Still looking for that elusive good coin.jwm

OP
OP
V

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey JWM.
Sorry you have so many medical problems, especially in the wrong places for metal detecting. But super for you that you haven't quit. Yes indeed, you keep going pal.
I wish for you and I to soon find our first special coin. Tell you what, let's keep digging.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions