Well i know pretty much every rock type along the waal and i knew that trachyte is found in large quantyti's along the waal as remnants of building materials from the middle ages. But all of those fragments or pieces are always angular never round so this stone stood out like a sore thum. And i knew they made cannonballs out of that material. It was found among medieval rubble from the center of the city that was dumped in years before on the beaches. please read all the info i posted here then you will understand.we over here would have just seen that as a round rock.... what made it stand out for you? what was the context it was found in?
Since many of the stories on here are in the USA, I took it for granted you found this here, since there was no mention of another country. Even so, it is quite similar to scrapers here. I never said this was cut out for a thumb. I have found several here that have been worn into that position from extended use. If a person is scraping on a daily basis over the years, it will wear into a thumb print. Think how useful that would be? Instead of your thumb slipping off a stone, you have a slight indentation to apply pressure.it was found in the river waal in the netherlands, it clearly has been transported from somewhere else.
no...major fallacy...Since many of the stories on here are in the USA, I took it for granted you found this here, since there was no mention of another country. Even so, it is quite similar to scrapers here. I never said this was cut out for a thumb. I have found several here that have been worn into that position from extended use. If a person is scraping on a daily basis over the years, it will wear into a thumb print. Think how useful that would be? Instead of your thumb slipping off a stone, you have a slight indentation to apply pressure.
Flint is harder than steel. There’s no possible way to remove material with thumb pressure. Hand held flake tools are only used for a short time then discarded. They are razor sharp for 5 min then they go dull and are tossed. I’ve dissected animals with flint flakes. Unless you’ve done that, you’re only guessing.no...major fallacy...
perfect response. We run into "experts" here from time to time....Flint is harder than steel. There’s no possible way to remove material with thumb pressure. Hand held flake tools are only used for a short time then discarded. They are razor sharp for 5 min then they go dull and are tossed. I’ve dissected animals with flint flakes. Unless you’ve done that, you’re only guessing.