Did I find gold for the first time?

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all,

I had the pleasure of meeting up with a local chapter of GPAA on Saturday (Delaware Valley-Pennsylvania), and after our meeting, some of us went out to give a local creek a shot. I never prospected before, so it was a learning experience for me.

Anyhow, I took home some material to practice panning. We classified it before I left, and I panned it down today. One of the last things left in my pan was a tiny gold flake, which I have no idea if I actually found gold for the first time! When it finally appeared, it wasn't stuck like glue to the pan, however it was not washing out when the water ran across it. It would move a tiny bit occasionally, but not a lot.

Can anyone confirm it for me? I took photos and even put it under a 60x magnifying glass. I'll be ecstatic if it is, but won't get my hopes up. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457984652.093729.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457984670.710336.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457984691.244581.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457984702.445267.jpg Thanks so much everyone.

Last edited:

WesternMassGold

Dec 20, 2013
Westfield,Ma
Detector(s) used
Garret super sluice pan,Modified Royal folding sluice w/ Goldhog mats
Grizzly Gold Trap Explorer Sluice,Falcon MD 20 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
yup sure looks like gold to me. Congrats!!!
Its so exciting when you find your first piece of gold. I had to call a friend to confirm it. Keep at it and good luck in the future.
Very small pieces will move in the pan ,depending on how hard to shake it or fast you run the water over it.But that is gold for sure.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yup sure looks like gold to me. Congrats!!!
Its so exciting when you find your first piece of gold. I had to call a friend to confirm it. Keep at it and good luck in the future.

Thank you so much! Wait till I tell everyone! haha, thanksssss again! And its not a bad looking piece coming out of my area of Pennsylvania (by Philadelphia)!

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did gooooood!!! Now you have to pass the initiation test! It usually involves bodily injury or doing some thing not very intelligent at the water. We've all done it then you'll be a full fledged miner! LOL! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did gooooood!!! Now you have to pass the initiation test! It usually involves bodily injury or doing some thing not very intelligent at the water. We've all done it then you'll be a full fledged miner! LOL! :icon_thumleft:

Oh I'm sure that's coming! Lol. Way more slippery than I had expected. At least at the creek I was on!

matt_unique

Jul 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like gold from the pictures. Congrats! A piece of black tape along the length of your vial will make it more visible. When you tilt it in the vial, it should drop fast as well.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for that tip! I just did that with the black tape and it made a huge difference. Now when I show people they can stop saying "where?" Haha.

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Philadelphia? I really hope its naturally occurring and not something that came out of somebody's(a body's) teeth that was "dumped" up river.

Definitely gold.

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like Gold to me , but the edges look a little sharp . Did you find it in a creek or river ?

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a gold arrowhead from Delawaregoldfeather Indian tribe! Lol
Best way to learn how to pan for gold is to purchase paydirt!
I did , great investment! Fun too!
I purchased an additional plastic container to catch the dirt so I can re-pan again and again!
HH

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like Gold to me , but the edges look a little sharp . Did you find it in a creek or river ?

Found it in a creek in Pa that has been said to hold typical small amounts of gold!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread