What's new

Do you count your finds every time you hunt?

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2007
Messages
2,540
Reaction score
20
Golden Thread
0
Location
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
I may have developed a bad habit, but I do not count my finds every time I hunt. I get out at least twice a week, normally on Saturday and Sunday mornings. After a hunt or two, I just dump the finds (mostly clad) in a container in my car trunk. I do keep an eye out for the odd silver (very rare) and the foreign coin, but the rest goes into the container.

Any rings and such come into the house to be cleaned and put into a special place. Am I the only one who does this?

I do have some days that I make an unusual find, such as two clad quarters stacked together and on the same hunt two zinc cents stacked together. I was hoping to find the two dimes and nickles but it never happened :o .

Does anyone else have my bad habit of coin dumping in the trunk? ???

Ray S
 
I don't have a trunk since I drive a pickup but I typically just bring them home and throw them all in a container....I rarely count them....shame on me but I don't! lol
 
I don't keep the clad in the trunk - I clean the surface dirt off when I get home with a tumbler ( gravel and water)

I do keep a rolling count of the dollar amount of all modern change I find or have found since I started detecting

with the exception of the pennies (cents ) For some reason I dont bother to add them to my totals. I do also

keep a running total of keeper rings. Argentium.
 
I do it just the way you do it Ray. Except I'll throw away the corroded zinc pennies. I hate them more then pull tabs now.
 
I bring my home and put the coins in a plastic cup until it gets full then see how much there is....Matt
 
I count it initialy and then throw it in a big jar. When it gets full I will then clean them up and roll them. It will be a while, as this is a large jar and I am concentrating more on relic hunting this year to explore another part of the sport.
 
I usually just put all of my clad that I get in a plastic bag. Once I have enough coinage to make some decent rolls, I then roll the coins and take them to the bank and put the money into my savings account.
 
I just keep filling the container till the end of the year. Sometime around December I will tumble the coins and count them then cash them in. Only bad thing about that is that if a silver coin should turn up out of the pile, I have no idea where it came from.

I do look at a majority of the coins to see what the date is, if it can be read, but on occasion some of the coins are just too dirty to see the date. Every once in a while a silver coin will turn up after cleaning and I have no idea where it came from. Since most of my finds are just clad I do not expect to see silver.

One of these days I will get to hunt some other site other then public parks and campgrounds and I will pay closer attention to my finds. :o

HH to all.

Ray S
 
Most of the time it's not real hard for me to count to 4 (zincolns) :icon_jokercolor: I'm trying to be funny but unfortunately it's the truth for 9 out of 10 hunts.

HH Charlie
 
I usually don't count the value, but I do look at the date and mint mark on all coins.
but like most people, I put it in a cup, wait till the end of the year, take it in and use it for more MD goodies
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom