What's new

Do You Hunt as a Hedge...

Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
17
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...against inflation?

Without getting political, I'm curious as to how many people here were originally stirred to action by treasure hunting as a hedge against inflation? Y'know, the gold sword/silver shield warriors, be you Austrian economists, American Libertarians, Objectivists, Rothbardian Anarchists, Truth-seekers, the list goes on. Beyond even those who originally started hunting for hard metals as a store of value, has anyone here started to evaluate their opinion of what's truly valuable only after digging a few precious metals?

The sheer thrill of the hunt and rich historical artifacts will be, for me and many others, what'll surely keep us coming back time after time. That being typed, I wouldn't have picked up a detector or began scouring coin rolls if it weren't for my rather eccentric economic opinions.

So, anyone else out there betting on gold and silver over our precious Federal Reserve Notes? ...or am I just plain nuts? :icon_scratch:
 
Last edited:
NUTS...j/k. For me and Iam sure for many others, MDing is a hobby. I for one dont ever intend to sell anything I find except clad, nor do I care the value of the things I find. I do it to connect with history and for a brief moment, when I find that 1880 coin, I am connected to the person that lost it.
 
Good luck to anyone who can find enough gold to actually be able to use it as part of their long term financial plan. I wouldn't bet on that. It's not a living either for most, just a hobby. Add in all the hours spent to get the gold, you could probably make more per hour working at McDonalds.
 
SuburbiaStopPushing said:
...against inflation? ... :
Hobby only for me. If, perchance, a silver or gold item surfaces it will be stored as part of my lifetime collection of "tradable metals". Some might call it a hedge, but I consider silver and gold purchasing part of my lifeline for survival.

M
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom