62 KB · Views: 584

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Re: do you think this is an double die?

That appears to be a late die stage Jefferson nickel with mechanical doubling. Only thing that is wierd about it is the Mint mark, which should look different if it was mechanical doubling. Almost looks repunched, but the mint has used a single press procedure for years now, to eliminate the true double die from occuring, supposedly. as late as 1995 the mint admitted that it was still possible for one to occur, based on experts pressing the issue with them. Not sure how that one turned out though.

An interesting piece, though. You may want to have it looked at further. I'm no expert by any means.

Z

ZipDogg

I agree with Jeffro about this being mechanical doubling. I too,am not an expert but I've found and sold 23 of the 2004 P Peace Metal nickels. I was reading my weekly Numismatic news and I read that those coins were being found. An article by Billy Crawford had the coin story and really good pictures. I went to the bank and got 3 rolls of the nickels mentioned and I compared them to Billy's pics, sure as the world,I had 23 that matched. I settled for the wholesale price and sold 16 of them for $600. I gave away 5 and I still have 2. That was truely beginner's luck.
I could've retailed them for at least $295 each, but that takes alot of effort and time. Anywaysz, for great pictures of true doubling visit Ken Potter's Educational Image Gallery at www.Koinpro.com. Ken's the official Attributer of Double Die coins
for a major coin club. As Jeffro mentioned, don't write you coin off until you get it checked out by a pro, there's at least 12 different kinds of double die coins.

richg

Jun 15, 2004
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
minelab products

If you go to the koinpro website, he will give you information on how to send him coins. I had him check a couple and he will include a letter explaining the coin.

OP
OP
whitesid

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

theres got to be something going on because i found 3 of these exact date and error location cheak your change there might be more!!
ps pm me if you find anymore of these

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If it's not a DD then there's probably chocolate inside.....Look's pretty good to me!!

Z

ZipDogg

After a "Coin Die" strikes more than 100,000 coins it becomes naturally
deteriorated and starts losing it's edges and shape.
When that happens it starts lifting the Grain of the Metal, the same way it
appears in the close-up pictures. And although it is producing coins that actually
has doubling, this type of doubling is very common.

On "Doubled Die" coins there will be "Separation" of the two images.

Machine or Mechanical Doubling usually looks like the image has slid over and the two images are not separated and has a shadow effect look to it.

To get a better example of a true Doubled Die coin try this.
Take an ink stamper and stamp an image.(This is like the coin die).
Now lift the stamper straight up, move it in any direction 1/16th of an inch
and stamp the image again. You will see slight separation on the edges of words.

Now to see common doubling(called many different things)...
Stamp the image, but this time do not lift the stamper... but "slide" it in any
direction. Since it slid there is no actual separation. These coins are very common
and has no value other than the face value.

Any feedback from any professionals ?(How'd I do this time ?)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread