Does anyone here ask for the big dollar coins at the banks (not the Sacagaweas)? Is it worth it? I know of a bank that has a few rolls and was wondering if it's worth it.
Any time a bank has them I will buy them. They are rare to come across. You never know you might get a peace or morgan dollar, I got one earlier this year in a roll of large dollars. I almost always ask if banks ever get them. I've come across 3 banks this year that had them, so grab em when u can. some Ikes are silver too
You can always spend them or dump them at another bank. I turned my regular bank into my Ike dump bank. I always ask for the big dollars and have been through at least 5k over the last 4 years.
I only dump them at 1 bank though because all the rest of the banks in Mi. are my buy banks. you never really want to dump them all over. it's nice to know that the coins you dump aren't the ones your buying. Outside of a twist of fate (Someone else buying them and dumping at another bank and you end up buying them back) I also package lots of 100 and list them on eBay but only the nicest ones. Not worth the headach to get a negitive feedback on something your practacally breaking even on.
I have had very few keepers out of the dollars I have found outside of a solid roll of silver dollars found 4 years ago I have never found more than 1 in any single batch that I have come across.
Yeah, I was looking on eBay and thought I might throw them up there to see what happens. Who knows, I was just looking for silver -- I coulda missed something.
Once while on a road trip I stopped at a small town bank for halves and large dollars. They sold me some halves, then head teller said that she wished that she had some Ikes because customers still asked for them, for their grandkids and for gifts. So a year or so later, I walked into the bank and asked again. The head teller said "no Ikes" again. I said, Good because I brought you some. I traded 40 good looking ones for 4 rolls of halves then bought a couple other rolls they had. She was thrilled.
Also remember that some coin dealers will pay a premium for Ikes if they have a customer or two that want them bad enough.