Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: DON"T USE NCS !!!!

I don't clean coins I find anymore except with olive oil, BUT, I have found a lot of pitted coins, acidic soils I guess. Except for the color I have done that damage to some. You know you can have a coin you can recognize and by the time you clean it up all the blistering and corrosion on it have disappeared and you can have a nice, shiny copper slug. Best not to play with em, but I have been tempted at times to have 'em cleaned. So you, sir, have taught me that I can do that well myself.

OP
OP
cosmic

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: DON"T USE NCS !!!!

Most "pros" would have enough knowledge to NEUTRALIZE the verdigris and not remove it !! So they are far from professionals!! If they had a idea that was going to happen they should have notified me by phone email or letter.. They had all that info.. I couldn't stand to look at it anymore (made me sick!) so it's on feebay now..

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Not being a coin collector, I don't know which version would be given more value. But the damage to the coin (very pitted) appears to have been done by the corrosion, not by the cleaning.

The cleaned version does show much more detail, especially in the shield, the feathers, and the wheat.

View attachment 483613 View attachment 483614
View attachment 483615 View attachment 483616

:dontknow:

It wasn´t done by corrosion!
The coins has had a nice green malachit paitna and all features was turned into this patina!
With removing it, you got what you see there - features are gone and only a thin ugly cuprit layer is remaining.
To use ANY kind of chemicals on such a patination is NOT professional !

I real missing the times, when people who did this gets cut off their hands ! ;)

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if it ever sold?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread