Upvote 11

Roadrunner007

Feb 23, 2015
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQUINOX 800 BHID300, Spectra V3i, TDI Pro, 6000Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you may have found a real treasure. Interesting!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I think that what happened to the Cent was two-fold! First, grease build-up on the Obverse Die resulted in the last digit in the Date and the last "T" in TRUST not being struck due to being filled with grease. Second, Die Deterioration and excessive pressure from the grease caused a pressure image of the front of Lincoln's bust to project outward and become struck into the coin's planchet. I could be wrong in my assessment but while most Coin Error Researchers usually label such an error as the doubled image to be the cause of Die Deterioration, I have long believed that grease can cause this result due to the excessive pressure put upon the details and even sometimes lettering or digits when being struck into the metal.

Frank

PaigowPushalot

Greenie
Feb 21, 2015
Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
American Hawks Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been going thru my penny menagerie and found 2 1987 DD on the LI in liberty. That was a messed up year cuz 1 of them is raised around the edges like a speed bump. Not worth much but been searching so long, happy I found some errors before I went blind!
Great find Doc!

Last edited:

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Congrats on noticing this error coin - wow! I see both Lincolns, kinda eerie but also really cool. The partial date looks like 195. If I found that coin, I'd keep & display it. Unless the price was right, lol. Is the reverse side normal? Andi

MD'erStEvO

Feb 16, 2015
Vicenza (Military)
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 11" Coil, Bounty Hunter Platinum Edition, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I Concur with g-olden years assessment, however, no matter what the price, I'd keep it and display it!!! Congrats!!! HH!!!

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Having no knowledge of this type of thing, what is the approximate value of this coin?

OP
OP
Doc Arey

Doc Arey

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2011
Occupied Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800 WHITE MXT & NEW VX3 a At Pro and a few others
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no idea of it's value but if it says anything in 30 years of detecting I have kept everything. It all means something to me. I wouldn't think it has any great value other than conversation but it is different.:dontknow:

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have no idea of it's value but if it says anything in 30 years of detecting I have kept everything. It all means something to me. I wouldn't think it has any great value other than conversation but it is different.:dontknow:

Did you dig this coin? It looks to be in pretty good shape. It is definitely a cool find.

Daddyd2x

Mar 31, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100
Whites 6000 DI coinmaster
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe we're looking at 2 different coins....I do see the double lincoln and see that the "T" in trust is gone..but the date I see is 195.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions