Draped dime help

Brink23

Greenie
Jul 7, 2006
hampton roads, Virginia
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer II
Good morning, all and Happy turkey day!
i have been a member of this site for years and this is my first post. While I have found many nice coins, this is probably my best so I had to share with you gals and guys. Ill make the story short and sweet. My buddy and I finally got permission to hunt about 400 acres of farm. House was built in the early 1700`s and a Civil war camp (confederate) is in one of the fields we cant hunt yet (still soybeans). So there we are, 1st day and found the usual mini-balls and a few civ. buttons when I hit a strange, broken sound (explorer II) in the range of a button. I dug a shotgun shell about 12" down. So after I covered the hole, I swung over the hole again and there it was. In the same hole. 1801 draped bust. I have much older coins (even spanish) but this is by far my best coin. Anyone have any input on the grade?
I always look at everyones postings here and enjoy every story. Hope have enjoyed mine. Ill be sending it off soon....

Attachments

• DSCF0592.JPG
    DSCF0592.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 2,656
  • DSCF0593.JPG
    DSCF0593.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 2,627
  • DSCF0593.JPG
    DSCF0593.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 2,627
  • DSCF0592.JPG
    DSCF0592.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 2,651
Upvote 0

lonelyduckhunter

May 5, 2009
Easton, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI2500, Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent Find :icon_thumright: I reccomend sending it to Anacs let them grade it and keep it uncleaned. Good luck in that large field. The beans are killing me around here I got 1500 acreas to hunt but the beans are still in way to wet to cut. One small field we hunted produced some coppers and buttons but the main houses are still in beans. Bad year for farmers to get there beans out around here because of rain so far.

Grats on the Banner and have fun cleaning the rest of it up.

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
oh my...that is one incredible coin.Congratulations on a well deserved spot on the banner!!

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, loved your story and find very much!! Ive been posting for years and that blows many of my finds away. I really hope you post more from your outings.
good score!!
Pro-

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
Glad you shared your story with us. I have never found anything remotely that cool. Sounds like you have some finds that you should have posted. Never to late to post them and catch us all up on the past finds. 8)

Baldingboy

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Superb find! Always a treat to see finds like this on the forum!

Excellent job resisting the temptation to clean it! Might be worth a shot sending it to NGC for details grading (www.ngccoin.com). I know that they stopped using the "NCS" name, but believe they should still do the conservation part of it. The one caveat of "conservation" is that NGC does not know how the coin will turn out after conserving, which is why you still see them end up in "improperly cleaned" or "environmental damage" slabs. The coin has been in the ground for 200 years and odds of still making it in the regular NGC slab with a "problem free" grade are somewhat low. It still seems like a great benefit to have professionals try to clean it up, plus put it in a hard protective case. As to value... can't really say, using the "Redbook" for valuation really never is the best method because those values are for problem-free coins priced at retail. Looking on eBay or auction sites like Heritagecoins.com are a better indication on how similar-looking coins have done.

Once again, congratulations on such a superb find! Early 1800s silver is on most people's want-list!!

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, great coin! Most of us dream of one day scoring one of those, congratulations!

Steve

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!.....Welcome to the Draped Bust Dime Club!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:......I know exactly how it felt when that coin came out of the ground because I was lucky enough to stubble across an 1800 Draped Bust Dime a couple of months ago........Here are some pictures of mine to compare to yours. I sold my dime last month for $2800 and the guy who bought it sent it off to ANACS and it came back with a VF-35 grade as well as "Environmentally Damaged"

I gently rinsed mine under running water and that was all. You could do the same thing, won't hurt anything in my opinion.

Again, huge congrats to you, amazing what lies under our feet!

HH all!

Greg

Attachments

• 1800reverseclean.JPG
    1800reverseclean.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 1,330
  • 1800 reversedirty.JPG
    1800 reversedirty.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 1,351
  • 1800drapedbustobvclean.JPG
    1800drapedbustobvclean.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 1,362
  • 1800drapedbustobvclean.JPG
    1800drapedbustobvclean.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 1,361
  • 1800 reversedirty.JPG
    1800 reversedirty.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 1,349
  • 1800reverseclean.JPG
    1800reverseclean.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 1,328

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
wow!!!!!!!! that is spectacular! one of these days hopefully i will pull a draped bust silver.congrtas on the banner nomination!
she's a beauty!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread