Dredge rust

LRC253

Aug 5, 2013
Puyallup, WA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey guys, although I'm in the market for a 5", I picked up another Keene 4" because the deal was right. The dredge does need a little TLC however.. I have to redo all the matting and clean up a few things.

The swivel nozzle, 4" hose fitting, and all the riffles are heavily corroded/rusted. The appearance doesn't greatly effect me but I'm just trying to get as much life as possible on these items without a hole wearing through this stuff. Should I not worry about it and let it take it's natural course....or use a cleaner like baking soda/vinegar and paint it??....or just buy new?

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A picture to see how bad it is please. W/o seeing I say run it and let the gravel clean it up

ratled

P1000763.JPG

OP
OP
LRC253

LRC253

Aug 5, 2013
Puyallup, WA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My phone died as I was taking a picture but this is one of the riffles and the dredge nozzle is slightly worse.
RUST.JPG

Bill_saf

Jul 3, 2014
w/c Illinois
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
for rust in the mats use LCR and scrub and rinse with backing soda. you can LCR on the steel riffles and swivel to.

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"are heavily corroded/rusted." not as pictured:tongue3: ......... those riffles have just the right amount of patina... run them as is the river will sand blast them for you

ratled

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
If you can press the metal with your finger and it doesn't give at all, then don't worry about it - let normal wear-N-tear do its thing and clean it up. Save the work for under water! :thumbsup:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, Looks fine to me let the gravel polish it.

njcommercialdiver

Feb 26, 2005
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro,
MX500 Proton Mag
fisher gold bug, whites PI, Garrett gold scorpion
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
as said before, run it and left the gravel clean it up, mine gets the rust coating over the winter after my 3 week to month long trips to NC in august/sept makes it nice and shiny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread