What's new

Durham Oyster River Grist Mill

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2005
Messages
12,689
Reaction score
378
Golden Thread
0
Location
Ozarks
1940's
 

Attachments

  • durham-nh-new-hampshire-oyster-river-grist-mill-agriculture.webp
    durham-nh-new-hampshire-oyster-river-grist-mill-agriculture.webp
    30.3 KB · Views: 573
:D Gypsy, did you post that for me?! I grew up directly across the mill pond from that! (where my folks still live). The mill building was leveled before my earliest memories, but I used to mow the lawn for the folks that lived in the house in the background (which has now been modernized). I now live just five miles away, I'll get an updated photo very soon if I can.
It would be a great place to detect, but so far I've been shot down in detecting two different houses which are both diagonally across from this (on opposite sides of the river). One of those two can be seen (updated) here: http://www.threechimneysinn.com/
During the Revolutionary War there was a stash of gunpowder kegs stored there.
It was really funny to read the title to this... I thought "that can't be right?!"
 
I sure hope you could hunt it and an updated photo would be great! And yes Benny,it was posted just for you!
 
Here it is today (15 minutes ago), second photo is of the house that remains:
 

Attachments

  • mill1.webp
    mill1.webp
    52.6 KB · Views: 515
  • mill2.webp
    mill2.webp
    48 KB · Views: 449
Thanks for the inspirational photo Gypsy! I promise to inquire about hunting this site soon. -Benny
 
Gypsy, I'm glad you posted when you did... there is now rumor in Durham of this dam being removed!!! This would be sad, as this would would make the Mill Pond in Durham disappear! That's what I grew up playing around! This is, as of yet, just rumored though. But I'm so glad I took those photos, just in case.
 
I just hope that you are able to get in there and hunt it....If they removed it ,that would be really bad...I am so really tired of people removing /destroying historical landmarks
 
Great post and nice pictures of the area too!
 
Another thanks going out to Gypsy! I used to travel around all over So. ME and N.H. looking for hunting spots. I remember passing by that area, back in the '70s that is.

HH
 
It will be detected this spring. Thanks again Gypsy!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom