What's new

Electrolysis tank build

mxdigger

Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2013
Messages
73
Reaction score
147
Golden Thread
0
Location
Richmond VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've been kicking around putting together an electrolysis tank to clean up a bunch of shells I have that were in my shop fire. I have this carbon steel tank I built years ago to strip powder coated parts that I never got to use because everything else burned up. Every time I go to the scrap yard I look at it and even had it on the trailer one time but pulled it out because I just couldn't bear the thought of throwing it away.
I'm just throwing this out there for you guys thoughts. What if I used the tank for the anode and sit my shells on a thick rubber mat with something like a stove grate with a piece of # 6 copper wire clamped to it for my positive connection. I never liked the idea of drilling holes in my shells and hanging them from a wire. This way I could just sit them on the grate connect to power and let her eat.
I know a carbon tank is not the best choice for several reasons. It's made out of 1/4" thick steel and it would take a long time for it to eat through. Also, I don't plan on using it but for a couple times then I wouldn't feel so bad about hauling it to the scrap yard because I did get something out of my hard work and money.
I could get probably get 10 shells in it at a time and it wouldn't take but three or four times to do all my relics that are left. I've been thinking about this a lot and I can't see any pitfalls but maybe I'm missing something.
 
One concern would be sludge buildup on the bottom of the tank reaching the grate. Also if something were to slip off the rubber and connect the bottom of the tank and grate you’d have a problem. I’d be tempted to use your idea (grate/mat) but do so in a plastic tote of some kind. Couldn’t get but a few at a time there, but id say safer.

With the grate setup you’ll have to watch the connection with the shell. Not sure how much grinding you want to do prior to electrolysis.

I know you know this, but even if you overcome the connection issue. you’ll have to roll the shells for line of sight
 
One concern would be sludge buildup on the bottom of the tank reaching the grate. Also if something were to slip off the rubber and connect the bottom of the tank and grate you’d have a problem. I’d be tempted to use your idea (grate/mat) but do so in a plastic tote of some kind. Couldn’t get but a few at a time there, but id say safer.

With the grate setup you’ll have to watch the connection with the shell. Not sure how much grinding you want to do prior to electrolysis.

I know you know this, but even if you overcome the connection issue. you’ll have to roll the shells for line of sight
Thanks for your comments. I had figured on having to clean it out from time to time but as I mentioned I don't have but around 15 shells that need treating. The shells aren't as much of a worry as the hundreds of small Iron pieces I want to do. I have already drilled small holes in them to attach wires to. That was done the first time I ran them through electrolysis before my fire. Actually, most of them are in pretty good shape but I want to do them so I can reseal them. It would take forever to do all those other pieces by hanging them from wires. Before my shop burned down, I had tried putting 10 or 12 pieces in a small basket and suspended it into the tank and it worked pretty good even without doing any grinding. It seemed that the outside pieces made well enough connection for it to transfer from one piece to another. It did take a little longer and I had to shake up the basket from time to time.
I'm not ready to do this right now so I have time to think on it some more. I was thinking of it being a rainy-day project. I have probably 8 of those plastic barrels that I could use and may end up doing just that, but I just thought I would experiment with this medal tank idea just to see if it would work.
 
That basket idea is a good one. I use a 5 gallon bucket and it takes a week to ten days once I decide to run my finds. Usually 2-3x per yr. I may give it a try next time.

What do you use for your basket?
 
sorry to hear about the fire.

i think you have a good idea with the rubber mat.

one important thing to keep in mind with electrolysis.
you are making hydrogen gas.
it is extremely flammable. very much like gasoline vapor.

anyone who has a small electrolysis setup. light a lighter next to it as its running.
you might be surprised, and also lose some hair off your knuckles.
i know i was.
 
That basket idea is a good one. I use a 5 gallon bucket and it takes a week to ten days once I decide to run my finds. Usually 2-3x per yr. I may give it a try next time.

What do you use for your basket?
I had a small French fry basket I got at a flea market and welded a piece or rod to it for my connection. When I was powder coating, I made several baskets for prepping parts. I don't have any more of that material I made them out of, but I do have some panels that are galvanized. That's not ideal because even if you burn off the galvanize it's still impregnated in the medal to an extent. Not sure what problems you might run into if doing this outside, but these panels would be perfect if they could be used. I'm still looking for something to use. I'm thinking about maybe welding together a basket made out of rebar. I have a bunch of that left over from when I poured my floor to my new shop. I don't see why that wouldn't work but I don't want to spend a great deal of time and money building something that could be made easier out of a plastic tank. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel just trying to get some use out of stuff I already have, but I have been thing about this idea for a while now.
 
sorry to hear about the fire.

i think you have a good idea with the rubber mat.

one important thing to keep in mind with electrolysis.
you are making hydrogen gas.
it is extremely flammable. very much like gasoline vapor.

anyone who has a small electrolysis setup. light a lighter next to it as its running.
you might be surprised, and also lose some hair off your knuckles.
i know i was.
Yeah, I learned a few things about the do's and don'ts with the use of electrolysis. Like using SS for your tank and don't stick your hand in the solution especially when the current is going to it. LOL I never noticed any problems with electrolysis as far as the gas is concerned. My old tank was inside my shop right next to my old wood stove. I did leave the exit door open while doing it. Not saying that's a good idea though because you can sometimes get by for a long time without problems. Then you have those times when the stars all line up and everything goes wrong.
OH....... just in case you are asking if I was using the tank when my fire happened. That answer is no; I never left the thing running while I was not in there. That's why I'm building this one for outside use so I can start it up and let it run until the items are done.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom