What's new

English Coin on Rye, New York Beach

Terry Soloman

Platinum Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
May 28, 2010
Messages
21,755
Reaction score
35,421
Golden Thread
1
Location
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been raining kittens and puppies for two days, but I got myself over to Oakland Beach, and Rye Playland on Long Island Sound. Low tide hit about 5pm, and I was in the water. Basically, this is a rocky, mud bottom beach. A real pain to hunt. Started off with the usual batteries, pull tabs, wire.. then I got my first clad. A couple more steps and wham, great target. Solid black in the bottom of the scoop the same size as a quarter but, it was an English 10 pence coin! Can't see the date, I'll try and clean it up tomorrow. Thought I had some silver. Pretty cool though.
 
Upvote 0
OK, it is a 1992 coin. Not old, but still a wonder. - T
 

Attachments

  • Forumposteng.webp
    Forumposteng.webp
    192.5 KB · Views: 482
Now that's one coin I've never found. It did clean up well. :icon_thumright:
 
That's a nice find Terry ! That machine is working out well for you .
So far all I am finding is junk and a little clad .
I'll be in Missouri next week so I will be in good hunting grounds at least for a month or so.
 
Great coin find, Terry! :headbang:

congrats on that find :hello2:

Lorraine
 
Rye Playland worth the trip? I live in Westchester. ???
 
Found a 5 pence on the beach in Sanibel. Or was it a 10? Either way, a cool unusual coin.
 
Newer 5 pence is about the size of a dime, older one (starting in '71) about the size of a quarter.

http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk/pics/dec/

Always nice to find a coin from another country where you don't expect one. Nice find Terry. :thumbsup:
 
charlieg said:
Rye Playland worth the trip? I live in Westchester. ???

Just depends on you really. ANY beach is worth it to me. That said, I prefer the Atlantic to the Sound. You work much harder in the mud and rocks on the Sound. Dry sand is dry sand, but if you're a surf and surfline hunter like me, Oakland beach and Playland is hard work. The bottom can suck on your scoop as you try and get it out, and if you ain't near the water to clean out the scoop you are in trouble - cause it is a wet gloppy mud.. Just depends on you. I'm always looking for a partner to split costs to Jones and Robert Moses on Long Island. Get a permit and let's go! NYS metal detecting permit application 631-669-1000 - They'll send you the app, you send them $40.00
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom