Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
Other
Found in reject tray.

I am about completely convinced these are fake. The S looks lifted and placed down or fabricated. The mint marks are all wrong. The best one is the coin in best condition.

The VDB mark also looks placed on the coin. Location is off, quality is poor.

I am sorry for posting this so quickly. I thought I had the find of a lifetime. Until I examined and compared carefully, it was easy to be fooled.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
I would assume fake but still take them to a local dealer. Also get a better photo and post it on the PCGS forum. There are quite a few dealers there who would know in a second.

Maine_Jim

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
It doesn't matter what anyone on here says, you need to have a dealer look at them.

None of us have seen the coins in person and some are making very educated guesses based on pictures..

Take them to the professional and have them looked at.

I rarely post on other peoples threads, and I almost didn't even open up this thread because I saw the title and I was like "BULL SH**" but, you're better off getting as many professional opinions as possible...

Take them to a coin show in your town and have them looked at (it's usually free)

You've got nothing to lose

Nice finds man

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I may be wrong but I don't think a reputable coin dealer/shop will charge much (or anything) to examine a coin. I'd suggest you go in "blind" and ask for an appraisal. Don't suggest the coin is fake up front. It may be but let them tell you that without being prompted to do so. Again, good luck! It may (they all may) be fake but let an expert look at the cleanest example "hands on" and tell you that it is a fake without any coaching or prompting from you. Ask him/her to point out the flaws and write them down and determine for yourself whether they are correct in the appraisal,

On the other hand, if you are convinced they're fake and don't want to have them appraised, I'll buy all three for $10.00. PM me and we can work out the details.

Last edited:

mAGma

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Dont know anything about cents, but copper crazy, fromw what i can tell knows his stuff on cents

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Dont know anything about cents, but copper crazy, fromw what i can tell knows his stuff on cents

I do not know much about fake wheats. I only know about modern Lincolns really. I'm just going off by what I see in the photos and what I read in the links provided at the top of the forum.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
That other foreign coin is not a coin but a souvenir sold at some pirate places and maybe Roman places as well.

Stripeythecrab

Apr 4, 2013
WI, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The center one is definitely an added mm. There were three genuine obverse dies used. Compare your mint marks to the photos on this site: Counterfeit vs. Authentic 1909-S VDB Lincoln Cents
If they are, in fact, genuine, huge congrats to you! But be wary. Finding one - not to mention three - is a collectors dream come true!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread