equinox 800 disconnecting headphones when lake hunting.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was wading in little over waist deep water with my 800. Every time I got the control unit under water, the headphones would disconnect and then reconnect when the control unit came above the water. This happened when the control unit was 6-12" inches under water.

I guess this type of hunting with the 800's wireless headphones is not ideal. Next time I will just use a large saftey pin and pin the WM-08 transmitter to my shirt collar and use my iphone ear buds. I prefer the audio response of my iPhone ear buds to the sound of the 800's wireless headphones anyway.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blue tooth does not work under water more than inch or so, that is why you use waterproof headphones, you will have same issue with WM8.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wading in little over waist deep water with my 800. Every time I got the control unit under water, the headphones would disconnect and then reconnect when the control unit came above the water. This happened when the control unit was 6-12" inches under water.

I guess this type of hunting with the 800's wireless headphones is not ideal. Next time I will just use a large saftey pin and pin the WM-08 transmitter to my shirt collar and use my iphone ear buds. I prefer the audio response of my iPhone ear buds to the sound of the 800's wireless headphones anyway.

Good job re-confirming physics principles as they relate to RF waves being highly attenuated in water. If the control head is submerged neither the bluetooth headphones nor the WM08 module will work reliably (especially the weaker signal associated with the WM08) because the control head contains a transmitter/receiver radio for both Bluetooth used by the headphones and Wi Stream radio technology used by the WM08 and cannot penetrate through water more than a couple inches. So I doubt your WM08 "solution"/earbud will work either. That is the reason wired phones are needed whenever the control head is frequently or continuously submerged. One thing you could try is to run a coax antenna cable fastened to the back of the control pod and strung up the shaft towards the armrest and out of the water and up your arm, but then you are basically tethered to the detector just the same as wired headphones. Also, I would be careful about getting the ML BT headphones wet (if that is what you are using) they do not have a water resistant IP rating.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions