Equinox 900 Question

Slimpickins

Feb 16, 2014
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm curious if the build quality of the 900 pod is an improvement over the 800 pod based solely on its watertight integrity? Time will tell. The first time I hunted waist deep with the Leakwinox 800 the pod flooded. It was replaced under warranty. Maybe that is the reason why some Equinox users chose the Deus ll for hunting when control pod would be submerged even if only by inches. It is great for detecting out of the water. A vast improvement over my first detector the Whites DFX but I'm disappointed that Minelabs claims of waterproof to 10 ft. are untrue.

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm curious if the build quality of the 900 pod is an improvement over the 800 pod based solely on its watertight integrity? Time will tell. The first time I hunted waist deep with the Leakwinox 800 the pod flooded. It was replaced under warranty. Maybe that is the reason why some Equinox users chose the Deus ll for hunting when control pod would be submerged even if only by inches. It is great for detecting out of the water. A vast improvement over my first detector the Whites DFX but I'm disappointed that Minelabs claims of waterproof to 10 ft. are untrue.
My 800 has been underwater many times in the last 4 years without an issue, plus it's been blasted with a hose after every beach hunt too. Not all Noxes had the flooding problem. I also have the new 900 and will be giving that some underwater use for the next week. It's supposed to be rated deeper than the 800, and so far, I like the detector on land and shallow salt water. Hopefully mine will be at least as waterproof as my 800 currently is.

OP
OP
S

Slimpickins

Feb 16, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the pod should fail due to water intrusion again would I be better off ordering the 900 pod as a replacement? Is the side by side comparison of the 800 and 900 pod obviously different? Is the 900 made differently with heavier thicker material and better seals at all possible leak locations. It would be helpful if a Minelab representative could help me and many others who have experienced a flooded unit in less than 10 ft.of water answer these simple questions

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My first 800 drowned twice in 3 yrs (average 250 hrs water use/season) under warranty and was quickly replaced, foc. Gave old 800 to sister, a land-lover, and bought second 800 (w free 15" coil!) for continued warranty. On wait list for Manticore, but thinking about buying 900 instead. Nox 800 pays for itself multiple, multiple times in EACH of my 5-month seasons MDing west Florida beaches. I have not double that 900 and Manticores will also pay for them selves.

OP
OP
S

Slimpickins

Feb 16, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw side by side comparison 800 and 900 on utube. i wished I had waited longer before buying the 800. the new 900 looks really nice with a lot of improvements, The control pod looks a lot more rugged than the 800 and the buttons are like those on the iphone I bet minelab redesigned 900 control pod so that it definitely won't leak otherwise they'll lose customers who will buy the Deus ll or the legend for a water machine. I wonder if Minelab would sell a 900 pod to an 800 owner and for how much $$$

sandmartin

Feb 20, 2015
Scarborough, England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I saw side by side comparison 800 and 900 on utube. i wished I had waited longer before buying the 800. the new 900 looks really nice with a lot of improvements, The control pod looks a lot more rugged than the 800 and the buttons are like those on the iphone I bet minelab redesigned 900 control pod so that it definitely won't leak otherwise they'll lose customers who will buy the Deus ll or the legend for a water machine. I wonder if Minelab would sell a 900 pod to an 800 owner and for how much $$$
I now have a 900 buddy, l had a 600 and 800 before, to sum it up simply, the 900 is everything the 800 should have been. I haven't heard of any leaking yet, time will tell but l would be amazed if any did.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only problem I had with the 800's pod, is that it completely failed. It just stopped working, some bars would run around the screen in a circle, and that was it. Re-sets did no good, and Minelab said that there was no repair that could be done, but I could buy a new pod for $425? I think it was. Picked it up one day and tried a reset a couple of times, and it worked again! I do not have trust in it enough to hike someplace to detect, just in case. I really haven't used the 800, I have been running the Legend I bought.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread