Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had a friends machine with brass inserts problem. We had those inserts out. They dead end into the plactic housing of the Equinox. Unless there was serious cracking of plastic I see no way for water to get though that location. We re-epoxied his into place and now he uses a custom grip, not the pod for a grip.

midalake -- exactly what it looked like to me, when I examined the inside of the handle. Those four inserts are inserted into solid plastic portions of the handle. And just as you said, without some SERIOUS cracking (which would not be expected), the brass inserts simply pulling free from the plastic would NOT be a place for water intrusion to occur. Whoever it was that made the statement initially, was -- in my opinion -- simply trying to deflect blame onto others, for what is clearly a Minelab issue...

Steve

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I heard it was because the head can "flex" in use due to its thinness. That breaks the seal. Makes more sense as a lot of the units failed before the carbon fiber shafts were available. Your idea is also probably correct. So that's strike #5 on the nox. Head flexing, carbon shaft installation problems, loop ears snapping off, nose heavy, arm cuffs breaking. Made in Malaysia. I'll make sure I never go to Malaysia. Their manufacturing quality matches living conditions, health care, etc. Too much money to buy a time bomb...in form of a detector.
Where a product was made is irrelevant. They will make it to the specs of the person odering the work. If there are design & manufacturing issues, the buck stops with Minelab, not with Malaysia.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, I didn't like the "waterproof" stretch of the truth, the price or the fact it hurt my wrist to use it. It does work well, just don't get it wet, put it bright light or feed it after midnight! How's your memory on that one? Remember which movie?
Smokey, use a harness with a bungie, I use one on all my detectors, takes weight off your wrist and arm and puts it on your chest. All of my Excals, CTX3030 and Equinox are set up to attach to a harness.

Riverbum

Jul 13, 2011
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello T.H. I never knew there were chest supporting set ups. That really sounds great the older I get. Any Idea where I can find one?

LoyalistDigger

Dec 14, 2015
Strathcona County
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Teknetics T2
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good ole smokey lamented....

"Head flexing, carbon shaft installation problems, loop ears snapping off, nose heavy, arm cuffs breaking."

I must be doing something wrong despite well over 800 hours on my Equinox since 18 May 2018. I mainly use it in parks and forests with the odd farm field and river thrown into the mix. This is my third detector in my six year detecting career and very weirdly, I've never broken anything on them.

To each their own I guess.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No, I didn't like the "waterproof" stretch of the truth, the price or the fact it hurt my wrist to use it. It does work well, just don't get it wet, put it bright light or feed it after midnight! How's your memory on that one? Remember which movie?
I relic hunt and weight of the stock 800 was an issue. Now with Steve's CF shafts and coiltek 10 x 5" I have greatly extended my hunting time that was limited to wrist issues. And I hated using a sling, just one more tangle when digging. I also switch to a much lighter waist high shove that allows me to dig without kneeling. That also extended my hunting time. At my age bending and digging with a short Lesche was a pain. It amazed me that these three changes really increased my joy in detecting. Now if I could just get rid of all the super strong and huge Joro spider webs that have invaded my county from Asia coming in on containers and taking over the local spider population.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Considering adding an Equinox 800 to the stable. However, seeing lots of leak issues…

treasureguy56

Mar 31, 2019
Half way Between Perry and Owosso Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210 , Tesoro Golden Sabre , CZ5 , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It finds the goods though, and is still the best all around detector I've ever used. If something happens to mine, I'd buy another in a heart beat.
I have to agree with you on all points ,
If you sell enough detectors , particularly one's with newer technology and ability your bound to have problems . It would suck if it were mine that was malfunctioning I admit . Everyone handles their unit in a different way - are they misusing or too aggressive I dont know . All I can say for certain is I purchased mine 2 years ago without any issues what so ever and Im very happy with the performance and survivability of the machine as is . I will say that Im somewhat concerned with the reports of water leakage and it has deterred me from using it under water . I will investigate whether whats discussed here with the possible or needed corrections helps or not .
I do how ever agree with you cuda , I would without question purchase another nox 800 if I had a catistrophic calamity occur with my machine - I love it and what it can do .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread