Equinox lower shaft options

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check the locations of the A-clip button, different detectors and models have it in different locations on the lower shaft.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mtcooley --

I am going to be building carbon-fiber lower shafts for the Equinox here very soon. I am building a prototype as we speak -- some parts are here, and some on order which should be arriving soon. The rod is designed to fit into the EQX middle rod. The carbon-fiber tube I plan to use for the prototype is already here, and I have verified that the outside diameter that I spec'd is correct, and fits properly in the Minelab middle rod. Rubber washers are here, now I'm just waiting on the "spring clips," and the lower rod piece -- the part the coil attaches to. That piece, the "coil attachment piece," I had to design from the ground up, and so when it arrives, I need to verify that all the dimensions are correct with respect to my design drawings. Assuming they are -- which would then allow me to assemble a "successful" prototype -- I will then take pictures, make a post here on the "for sale" forum, and begin selling these to anyone interested (alongside my CTX 3030 lower rods that I build). Assuming the prototype rod turns out the way I expect, I estimate 4-6 weeks to be the time that I'll have a first batch of Equinox carbon-fiber lower rods available for sale.

Just wanted to let you know.

Thanks,

Steve

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mtcooley --

I am going to be building carbon-fiber lower shafts for the Equinox here very soon. I am building a prototype as we speak -- some parts are here, and some on order which should be arriving soon. The rod is designed to fit into the EQX middle rod. The carbon-fiber tube I plan to use for the prototype is already here, and I have verified that the outside diameter that I spec'd is correct, and fits properly in the Minelab middle rod. Rubber washers are here, now I'm just waiting on the "spring clips," and the lower rod piece -- the part the coil attaches to. That piece, the "coil attachment piece," I had to design from the ground up, and so when it arrives, I need to verify that all the dimensions are correct with respect to my design drawings. Assuming they are -- which would then allow me to assemble a "successful" prototype -- I will then take pictures, make a post here on the "for sale" forum, and begin selling these to anyone interested (alongside my CTX 3030 lower rods that I build). Assuming the prototype rod turns out the way I expect, I estimate 4-6 weeks to be the time that I'll have a first batch of Equinox carbon-fiber lower rods available for sale.

Thanks,

Steve

All sounds well and good but how much?

OP
OP
mtcooley

mtcooley

Mar 19, 2013
Sanford, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
mtcooley --

Thanks,

Steve

Thanks sounds good. Have any pricing in mind?

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gents,

Still working out pricing. Hard to be sure at this point, because I ordered "one set" of parts, to build the prototype, but will order "in bulk" when I start building them, so prices on all components will thus be cheaper due to being ordered in bulk. My initial, rough estimate is around $60, plus shipping.

Steve

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Steve. Please put me on another Equinox waiting list! Lol. Seriously though I'll take one when they're available.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HighVDI -- SORRY about the waiting list! LOL! Don't mean to put anyone through THAT again (though, I guess Detectival IS this weekend, so maybe it is apropos!

Your interest is noted, my friend!

Steve

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anderson has them if you buy their middle and upper shaft with it. Plugger also makes a lower shaft that will work with the stock middle and upper. He also has the middle and upper. He says it's slightly smaller in diameter, so, he includes a stainless clamp bolt so you can tighten it a bit more instead of possibly breaking the plastic ones. His clamping systems are a better design (IMO) that the others I've seen and used. I have both Anderson and Plugger shaft setups on my Excaliburs and I like Pluggers the best.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anderson has them if you buy their middle and upper shaft with it. Plugger also makes a lower shaft that will work with the stock middle and upper. He also has the middle and upper. He says it's slightly smaller in diameter, so, he includes a stainless clamp bolt so you can tighten it a bit more instead of possibly breaking the plastic ones. His clamping systems are a better design (IMO) that the others I've seen and used. I have both Anderson and Plugger shaft setups on my Excaliburs and I like Pluggers the best.

I think Anderson only makes a two piece Rod for the Equinox - a main shaft and lower. The lower shaft is not compatible with the Equinox stock middle shaft (and vice versa) so if you go with Anderson you are buying a complete Equinox Anderson kit plus will have to purchase an additional Anderson lower shaft (not cheap) if you want to have a pre-mounted coil.

Also, from what I can find online for the Equinox, Plugger sells either a two piece travel upper/middle or a single main shaft but re-uses the Equinox stock lower shaft in either case. Not being a fan of the Equinox lower shaft, I went for the Anderson kit.

In both cases, the Equinox kits presently seem different (and with fewer options) than what is offered by Anderson and Plugger for the Excals. Do you have a Plugger/Anderson setup for your Equinox? Perhaps the choices have changed since I got my Anderson Equinox shaft last month.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Plugger middle and upper travel setup, and his lower shaft is supposedly "in the mail". He claims it will fit the stock middle by using his improved clamping setup. If so, I'll probably be getting another whenever the 15" coil comes out. I like having them already mounted on a shaft for quicker coil changes. He says he has two options on the lower shaft, a 20" and a 26".......stock being 24". You could probably talk him into making a custom length too.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cuda - that's good news. His eBay store listings have probably not caught up with this latest option for the Equinox. I would be interested in that Plugger lower because I too like my accessory coils pre-mounted and I like the stock Equinox two-piece shaft enough for travel and ML is still not selling standalone lower accessory shafts from what I can tell. Steve's lowers would also be an option. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, contact Bill directly, not through Ebay. He has them, just not listed on auction sites.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just FWIW -- I will be able to build the Equinox lower shafts to any custom-desired length, as well. I'd probably go with the 24" "stock" length as a default, but would be able to build them to any desired length...

Steve

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just FWIW -- I will be able to build the Equinox lower shafts to any custom-desired length, as well. I'd probably go with the 24" "stock" length as a default, but would be able to build them to any desired length...

Steve

Yep, as I said, you're in the running too. I can probably just wait until you get into production to see how it turns out.

hunt2day

Greenie
Jun 22, 2012
Lake County Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab explorer 2
Tesoro SandShark
Garrett AT
Minelab Equinox
Tesoro Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Plugger one piece for my 600 and love it. He is always fast to assist if you need it, great guy.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
vferrari --

Just wanted to toss that out there (custom lengths), as I recently -- per customer request -- started offering CTX rods in "custom lengths" also. Honestly, I would likely not have thought of doing so, except that some folks were asking for them. As such, I decided that it would probably be smart to offer "custom lengths" on the Equinox lower rods also, right from the get-go.

While a longer lower would add a fractionally small amount of extra weight, the benefit of the longer shaft would be the ability to keep more of the lower shaft inserted into the middle shaft when fully extended (for taller users) -- as this would permit a more stable (i.e. not wobbly) shaft system.

Steve

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all,

Just wanted to post a quick update...

Parts arrived today for my lower rod project, and, SUCCESS!

I'll start a new thread, for those interested.

Steve

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I received the Plugger lower rod yesterday afternoon and played around mounting it on Pluggers carbon fiber shaft, and the stock Nox shaft. Everything worked fine. It's a one piece plastic shaft, not carbon fiber like his middle and upper shafts are. it's a little smaller in diameter than the stock lower, and has a bit of flex, but, with his clamp and stainless replacement bolt, no wobble. It has the same fit with both his and the stock middle shaft. I put the 6" on the stock shaft and the 11" on the Plugger shaft. The stock shaft fits very tight into the Plugger middle shaft. With this 26" version, I can get a longer sweep arc out of it. It comes with a lower coil bolt, washers, and his replacement stainless upper clamp bolt assy. Going to take it on a test drive later today.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread