What's new

Estate sale sterling bargains

HistoryTeacher

Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2017
Messages
322
Reaction score
738
Golden Thread
0
Location
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was an hour late to this sale, but as all the professionals were checking out, I still managed to find some great bargains. Among the pewter pieces was the tall Gorham candlestick--228 grams for only $5. How did everyone miss it? The small weighted candlestick was $5. The little biscuit tray was $18.00 and weights 48 grams. The weighted knife was $4. I also picked up a damaged silver brush that I already scrapped. It yielded 62 grams and cost $20.00.
The stuff is somehow still out there. So at 328 grams plus the weighted pieces for $52.00.
Thanks for looking!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0010_edited-1.webp
    IMG_0010_edited-1.webp
    597.8 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_0011_edited-1.webp
    IMG_0011_edited-1.webp
    243.3 KB · Views: 107
I cant find any decent silver lately at estate sales thats not priced way too high. Was it a managed sale or by owner? By owner seems better.
It was actually professionally run! I've had a little luck at the professionally run sales...the junkier the sale the better chance they overlooked something.
 
I was an hour late to this sale, but as all the professionals were checking out, I still managed to find some great bargains. Among the pewter pieces was the tall Gorham candlestick--228 grams for only $5. How did everyone miss it? The small weighted candlestick was $5. The little biscuit tray was $18.00 and weights 48 grams. The weighted knife was $4. I also picked up a damaged silver brush that I already scrapped. It yielded 62 grams and cost $20.00.
The stuff is somehow still out there. So at 328 grams plus the weighted pieces for $52.00.
Thanks for looking!
I've done pretty good bottom feeding on the local estate auctions.
The big buyers are now getting overloaded with sterling. I got approached in buying their sterling handled knives.
First lot of handles
Not a problem 👌
20 knives=1 hr labour
Bought them for $500
$1250 worth of silver.
I gave him 50 gram value on these. Turned out to be 74 grams.

20260403_132342.webp
 
I've done pretty good bottom feeding on the local estate auctions.
The big buyers are now getting overloaded with sterling. I got approached in buying their sterling handled knives.
First lot of handles
Not a problem 👌
20 knives=1 hr labour
Bought them for $500
$1250 worth of silver.
I gave him 50 gram value on these. Turned out to be 74 grams.

View attachment 2250127
Seem too pretty to scrap. Any resale value there?

People do seem a little spooked by the volatility in silver prices.
 
Seem too pretty to scrap. Any resale value there?

People do seem a little spooked by the volatility in silver prices.
They list for basically what I can scrap them for.
If the long sell is $155.00 CAD, scrap it tomorrow for $162.CAD.
Melt value is $225 CAD
Pretty doesn't hold much value these days.
 
Great score on the candle stick. People probably thought it was plated. Those hallmarks appear quite tiny for a piece that size and many people likely just look for the word "Sterling" and if they don't see it can't make heads or tails of tiny hallmarks, if they see them at all. As for the weighted piece many people confuse "weighted" for plated. My only theory as to why they would be passed up. More for us in the know.
 
That's a great score. My sister in law does estate sales for people and tries to research everything for the purpose of pricing. Sometimes she contacts me when she has questions regarding precious metals, coins, currency, or jewelry. I agree with the others that whoever did that sale must have thought the pieces were plated.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom