Indiana
Detector(s) used
Had: Tesoro Silver Umax.
Teknetics Omega 8000,
Minelab Equinox 600

Have: Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I need help figuring out what is wrong with my Etrac. One problem is erratic false signals I know it's not emi. It does these erratic signals only while the coil is in motion, even if I have the coil 6 feet in the air. If the coil isn't moving it doesn't do any erratic signals. I have two coils and they both have this problem. Based on this you would think the connector that comes out of the control box is the problem. I've looked at it, it looks clean and undamaged. I cleaned it anyway. The problem is still there. The erratic signals will come and go, sometimes just unscrewing the coil and screwing it back in fixes the problem for a while. Some days I barely notice the erratic signals other times the detector is unusable. I bought a new battery for the detector that didn't fix it either. Factory resetting the detector doesn't help.

Another problem I have is the volume will randomly start decreasing on it's own. Signals and the threshold tone will progressively get quieter to the point it barely makes any sound. To fix it I can put my trowel next to it. A strong or overload signal brings the volume back to normal. Factory resetting the detector doesn't help. The warranty expired long ago. I bought it used on ebay.

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This might not be your problem but it won't take long to do. Remove the cover off of the bottom of the coil and clean any debris that has accumulated. You would be surprised how much dirt and sand can get in there and mess with the signal.

OP
OP
Dan1033

Dan1033

Jun 10, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000,
Minelab Equinox 600

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cleaning the coil makes no difference. Thanks for the suggestion.

Akb082317

Aug 10, 2020
PA
Detector(s) used
Anfibio multi
Simplex +
Ctx-3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have a spare coil? I once had a coil go bad on my E trac. I knew it was the coil because once I changed to a different coil the E-trac wouldn’t do the falsing it was doing prior to replacement. After I changed the coil I was lucky enough to not have it happen anymore. A bad coil can make a detector do all kinds of crazy things.
Good luck I hope you figure it out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dan1033

Dan1033

Jun 10, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000,
Minelab Equinox 600

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I bought it from Ebay it came with two coils. Both had the problem. It seems unlikely both are defective.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan...turn it on with NO coil attached. It might say “no coil detected” or similar or it might say nothing. IF it stays on...same noise when you move the control box around?

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it seems to be “adjusting” ANY parameters on its own such as the volume....sounds like a control pad issue to me. Do all the buttons feel correct? They all detent about the same way when pressed?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
also make sure your plug doesn't have a missing or bent pin

OP
OP
Dan1033

Dan1033

Jun 10, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000,
Minelab Equinox 600

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yesterday I cleaned the coil plugin and control box plugin with an ultrasonic cleaner using only water. I used a blow dryer to dry it. So far it hasn't been falsing but that may change. I don't see any bent pins and it feels smooth when I plug the coil into the control box. There is no volume button on the etrac, it's hidden in the menu settings. There are separate settings for threshold volume and tone/signal volume, both decrease when the volume problem starts.

michael NY

Nov 4, 2007
USA
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Coinstrike, F70, Explorer XS, Sovereign XS, Spectrum, IDX PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you tried a factory reset?

OP
OP
Dan1033

Dan1033

Jun 10, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000,
Minelab Equinox 600

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've done the factory reset a few times no difference. I bought it on ebay a year ago and the guy said he used it for 4 years. I expect it to last longer than that. It would be disappointing if a $1500 detector only lasts 5 years. I have thought of getting the XP Deus or the ORX.

Akb082317

Aug 10, 2020
PA
Detector(s) used
Anfibio multi
Simplex +
Ctx-3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of the insides of the control may have gotten wet, I have seen where a capacitor fails on a control board and causes problems all over the place that are hard to diagnose. My E-trac was a workhorse, I didn’t have that many problems other then one coil failing. I suspect the person you may have bought it from was hard on it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread