Excal-2 on mineralized wet sand beach

Moe (fl)

Jul 25, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Whites, Tesoro, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone compared the Excalibur 2 against the CTX-3030 and XP Deus II in mineralized/black wet sand?

Last week I used the Equinox 800 in wet sand and it was falsing a bit. The beach was highly mineralized with black sand. My excal-2 has no problem on this type of conditions. I love the Equinox because of its precission, but I have to give credit to the Excal-2 here.

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was it falsing as waves rolled over in shallow water? Black sand rolling over the coil in shallow water can cause it to false

OP
OP
Moe (fl)

Moe (fl)

Jul 25, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Whites, Tesoro, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was it falsing as waves rolled over in shallow water? Black sand rolling over the coil in shallow water can cause it to false
No, the waves were not reaching the coil. It was in low tide area so the sand was wet. I tried both Beach1 and Beach2 mode. Not saying that it didn’t work but it was having some challenge. When I use my excal-2 on this type of beach it just sails through. I wonder what is the difference between the excal’s 17 BBS frequencies and the Multi-frequencies from the Equinox. There must be some difference there.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't noticed any significant difference between the two myself. They both lose a bit of depth, but, seem to false the same and be just as stable otherwise. I can run the Excal pretty much wide open, where I can't do that with the Nox. The depth seems to be similar if you use the same size coil.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, the waves were not reaching the coil. It was in low tide area so the sand was wet. I tried both Beach1 and Beach2 mode. Not saying that it didn’t work but it was having some challenge. When I use my excal-2 on this type of beach it just sails through. I wonder what is the difference between the excal’s 17 BBS frequencies and the Multi-frequencies from the Equinox. There must be some difference there.
Maybe it was interference from a communication tower on a hotel.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lot depends on setting for black sand.... and yes EMI. Those Xcals are hard to beat in the wet sand and water. The Nox doesnt like coil tilt either or the splash. As far as the CTX it tends to loose depth in certain areas but runs smooth and you dont notice it. IN the water...... all things becomes equal with these machines.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have all 3 (Excal II, Nox 800 and CTX 3030) and run them in very heavy black sand; several inches deep and as much gain/sensitivity as possible. Don't really notice much difference among the 3, particularly when you take coil size into account. The Excal had a 10" coil, the 800 I use the 15" and the CTX I use the 17". In general the larger the coil the more inherent noise and have to use slightly less sensitivity w larger coils. Also, the Nox 800 seems more sensitive, in terms of generating noise, when wet sand gets between the coil and skid plate. [Side note; the ears on the 15" NOX 800 coil are fragile and I broke one after changing to a Steve's carbon fiber shaft.]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread