What's new

Excalibur II upgrade question!

Madmans Legend

Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2010
Messages
24
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites Beach Hunter ID, Whites Surfmaster II, Whites TM808, Whites Amphibian 2, Bounty Hunter 505, Garrett Infinium LS, Minelab Exterra 705, Minelab CTX 3030
Has anyone tried to put on the Intruder S-12 coil or the Sovereign WOT coil on their Excalibur II model, and if you have did you notice any performance improvement from the stock 10'' coil? Correct me if Im wrong but as I understand the Excalibur II has a slightly different and newer circuit and components than the older models.
 
Upvote 0
I have used the S-12 on an Excal 1000 I put on and currently have a WOT on one of my Excals and the SEF 12"15" Butterfly on my other Excal......The mod would basically be the same wiring wise.....S-12 was good on the Excal, but I wanted to put my 12x15 SEF Butterfly coil on it so I took the S-12 off......I am still sitting on it, would consider selling it.

You do not want to do it if your Excal II is still under warranty as it will void the warranty......

Don't know how cood you are at mod work, it isn't hard, but again it isn't easy either....Easier to splice the cable than go into the controls, but it is a cleaner mod when it is in the controls.......

Member Davespen here has done a lot of them, he does great work, he put the 12x15 SEF Butterfly on mine into the controlbox, did a fantastic job, the man is really good at it..........You might send him an IM.....You can see one of his posts in the "treasure related for sale form" in the classifieds....
 
Treasure_Hunter said:
I have used the S-12 on an Excal 1000 I put on and currently have a WOT on one of my Excals and the SEF 12"15" Butterfly on my other Excal......The mod would basically be the same wiring wise.....S-12 was good on the Excal, but I wanted to put my 12x15 SEF Butterfly coil on it so I took the S-12 off......I am still sitting on it, would consider selling it.

You do not want to do it if your Excal II is still under warranty as it will void the warranty......

Don't know how cood you are at mod work, it isn't hard, but again it isn't easy either....Easier to splice the cable than go into the controls, but it is a cleaner mod when it is in the controls.......

Member Davespen here has done a lot of them, he does great work, he put the 12x15 SEF Butterfly on mine into the controlbox, did a fantastic job, the man is really good at it..........You might send him an IM.....You can see one of his posts in the "treasure related for sale form" in the classifieds....



My Excal II warranty just expired and I am fairly good with modding devices as my background is in electronics engineering. My concern is that if I fork out a few hundred dollars for the coils I have to make sure that they are compatible with the Excalibur II (green label ) model. Im really hestient on opening up the housing if I dont have to. Thats why I plan on installing an external waterproof connector of my design so I could easily change out the coil when conditions warrant it.
 
Madmans Legend said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
I have used the S-12 on an Excal 1000 I put on and currently have a WOT on one of my Excals and the SEF 12"15" Butterfly on my other Excal......The mod would basically be the same wiring wise.....S-12 was good on the Excal, but I wanted to put my 12x15 SEF Butterfly coil on it so I took the S-12 off......I am still sitting on it, would consider selling it.

You do not want to do it if your Excal II is still under warranty as it will void the warranty......

Don't know how cood you are at mod work, it isn't hard, but again it isn't easy either....Easier to splice the cable than go into the controls, but it is a cleaner mod when it is in the controls.......

Member Davespen here has done a lot of them, he does great work, he put the 12x15 SEF Butterfly on mine into the controlbox, did a fantastic job, the man is really good at it..........You might send him an IM.....You can see one of his posts in the "treasure related for sale form" in the classifieds....



My Excal II warranty just expired and I am fairly good with modding devices as my background is in electronics engineering. My concern is that if I fork out a few hundred dollars for the coils I have to make sure that they are compatible with the Excalibur II (green label ) model. Im really hestient on opening up the housing if I dont have to. Thats why I plan on installing an external waterproof connector of my design so I could easily change out the coil when conditions warrant it.

I installed a waterproof connector on my WOT, but did a hard wire splice on the S-12, it was a lot easier to work with and I prefered it over the waterproof connector.. The S-12 has 2 ground wires that are not insulated and they are a pain to work with......If your not going into the housing and just spliceing the cables it is not a problem and they are compatible.... If you do a search for S-12 mod you can find pictures, I am not at home at the moment or I would post them for you, I will post link to them tonight.....
 
Correct me if Im wrong but as I understand the Excalibur II has a slightly different and newer circuit and components than the older models.

Both the same wiring and mainboard unless you go way back. Has not changed internally...

Chart done by davespen..great work
 

Attachments

  • Davespen chart].webp
    Davespen chart].webp
    63.4 KB · Views: 734
That is what I was going to post, Dave does good work, as do you Beech... :icon_thumright:
 
I appreciat your input guys and thanks for the coil wire pinout, this should shave some time out of the coil mod. :icon_thumright:
 
Question, what are you looking for in the Bigger coil..more coverage? Depth? And where are you hunting, location........or close to where.

After getting in 8 good days of hard hunting with the Bulgin mini connectors, full submeriged at times, I am thinking along the lines of Treasure Hunter...Best if you check out some of his past post on the way he does his coil connections, I had issues with one of my detectors, on two things due to saltwater. They were not fatal but gave a some problems with falsing... it's almost like the signal was leaking out of the connector, if I touched it or bumped it, it would give me a false..two other detectors did fine........the other issue was the IP68 remote rocker switch must have leaked and the excalibur got stuck in discriminate..

And Thanks TH, I'm still learning, and watching the one's that have been there, and done that...like you..Treasure Hunter, many thanks for all the great post :icon_thumright:
 
OldeBeechnut said:
Question, what are you looking for in the Bigger coil..more coverage? Depth? And where are you hunting, location........or close to where.

After getting in 8 good days of hard hunting with the Bulgin mini connectors, full submeriged at times, I am thinking along the lines of Treasure Hunter...Best if you check out some of his past post on the way he does his coil connections, I had issues with one of my detectors, on two things due to saltwater. They were not fatal but gave a some problems with falsing... it's almost like the signal was leaking out of the connector, if I touched it or bumped it, it would give me a false..two other detectors did fine........the other issue was the IP68 remote rocker switch must have leaked and the excalibur got stuck in discriminate..

And Thanks TH, I'm still learning, and watching the one's that have been there, and done that...like you..Treasure Hunter, many thanks for all the great post :icon_thumright:

Beech I appreciate the complement but I am still very much a student when compared to you and many, many others here .............
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom