Exploring NE OKlahoma, found wolf tooth & arrowhead

beulahlandgirl

Apr 14, 2010
oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spent a beautiful day in the woods with my sis & niece here in NE Oklahoma and we did a little creek walking and four wheeling. Looked a lot of ground and I found what I think is a Gary point in a wash leading down to a creek, my sister found a scraper along a fenceline, we all found lots of flint and I also found a tooth sticking out of a creek bank. I had found several pieces of flint in the bank and saw just the point of the tooth sticking out. It was about 3 or 4 feet down from the top. I think it may be a wolf's tooth. Does anyone know for sure? It measures about 1 3/4" long. Thanks for any info!

Attachments

• IMG_2474 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_2474 (640x480).jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_2516 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_2516 (640x480).jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_2509 (480x640).jpg
    IMG_2509 (480x640).jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_2515 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_2515 (640x480).jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_2521 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_2521 (640x480).jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 271
Upvote 4
OP
OP
beulahlandgirl

beulahlandgirl

Apr 14, 2010
oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Bob-E-Pin! The tooth is very old, I think. It was 3 or 4 feet down from the top in the creek bank, along with some flint pieces. The indians would drill holes in animal teeth and wear as necklaces. This one didn't have any holes drilled in it though.

ammo_u

Nov 25, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very cool. I am in Osage Co and have found some neat bones while point huting. My son has a really old bison tooth he found on a trail and I have a cougar claw found at the base of an overhang. I know a guy with some bear bones he found on a creek a few years back. People looking around the Arkansas river come out with some very neat stuff. Congrats on the finds

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds!! I would go back and hunt for more, no doubt!

Broken knee

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2009
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wolf teeth are much larger in comparison to dogs with their canine teeth reaching up to 2 inches, so I would agree on it being a wolf tooth. Nice finds HH
Broken knee

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 496

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was an excellent find (and the point wasn't too shabby either :) )! With it being that deep down in the creek bank, it has to be pretty old---I hope you remember where that part of the creek was so we can go back and check it out if we ever get any rain. That's the one positive thing about a drought, you can walk down dry creek beds and check out the creek banks!
WTG, Sister!!

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds! Nice point, and interesting tooth. I would say your tooth is from a bear (bottom front fang). In comparison to a wolf, a bears tooth is quite large at the gum line, and then proceeds to be more pointed and curved than a wolf tooth.

Tooth_D.jpg Bear tooth.

il_fullxfull_386092352_ms2n.jpg Wolf tooth.

Notice how your tooth is more curved above enamel line, and more resembles the bear tooth example.

OP
OP
beulahlandgirl

beulahlandgirl

Apr 14, 2010
oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks ammo u! It's so neat how everything you find, down to animal bones and teeth can add to the whole story of it all. Yes, the Arkansas River has yielded quite a bit of neat finds. I've never hunted along it but I've heard stories.

OP
OP
beulahlandgirl

beulahlandgirl

Apr 14, 2010
oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, sis! I was pretty excited to find the point and the tooth! :hello2: I can get us back to the bank where it was and we will definitely have to look it some more!! Lord, let it rain!

OP
OP
beulahlandgirl

beulahlandgirl

Apr 14, 2010
oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info, old digger! It does look more like a bear tooth. Wow! I guess we had a lot of bears in this area a long time ago and that is a big possibility. It is more curved and larger at the gum line just like you said. Thanks!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So it is a bear tooth. I bet it was destined for a necklace. Nice find and points.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread