What's new

Famous land treasure hunters

neo

Hero Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2013
Messages
503
Reaction score
204
Golden Thread
0
Location
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was looking on Wikipedia and its treasure hunters are pretty much people at sea like Mel Fisher. No mention of Deek Gladson on their list or any guys who hunted on land. Why do you think they're not on there and who are some you would recommend reading about?
 
The Lagina (pronounced Lah-gee-nah) brothers at Oak Island. I realize this is super controversial to say anything regarding Oak Island... but they try hard.

More serious note: Edward Rowe Snow was an early treasure hunter who actually found some real treasure with a coded map and all. He's mainly known as the flying Santa and as a story teller dealing with new England ship wrecks. He has a lot of books and they are all good. I'm actually unsure if he has an entire book dedicated to his treasure hunt but I have read about it.
 
Land hunters

Will look into it I also like w c jameson not sure if he really hunts but great story teller if nothing else.
 
Ed snow actually found a two bladed dagger that a pirate was known to carry.I forget the pirates name.Snow found it on a islands beach.
 
Heinrich Schliemann
Howard Carter
Eric Lawes
Terry Hebert

All found fortunes (the last two with metal detectors - the first two following clues and lots of hard work).
 
Terry Herbert, who found the "Staffordshire Hoard", largest Saxon hoard ever found (so far).
 
doc crowder...
 
Do we include coin roll hunting?
 
Seems like land-based hunters are harder to quantify since they seem reluctant to report their finds (understandably). Some good names missing from this list though including:

L.L. "Abe" Lincoln, Milton Rose, Hardrock Hammond

He has a good reputation, but I've often wondered about the actualy recoveries made by Chuck Kenworthy
 
Floyd Mann, Chuck Kenworthy, Gale Rhodes,
 
Last edited:
Harry Bukavolus
Zirk Flatus
Elmo Sugguns
 
How about a man named Hunter Pritchard.
 
How about a man named Hunter Pritchard.
Hunter made a good name for himself as part of the 8 States Association.

You bring up something indirectly...I can think of a lot of guys who make a name for themselves as treasure authors, but their success and reputation as actual, in-the-field treasure hunters I believe is often eclipsed by the fact that they play their recoveries so close to the chest.
 
TODAY IS THE DAY ! MEL FISHER
 
Last edited:
Mel Fisher was a diver...this thread was meant to be about land based stuff. :)

FIsher was the man...its a shame all his hardwork just created more problems...
 
Great question and wow I love stuff like this I'll be doing some research on these people too. I'll put my name on this thread soon just gotta find a treasure first lol
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom