Favorite Personal Cobs

Sam you haven't forgotten, it's good too be back...thanks.
4 reales was a good guess.
The Swastika was struck on a 1/2 real....I will post the pic of the 1/2 real when I go back to Sebastian this week, my pics are on another hard-drive. Things have changed a bit, lol.
There is some really fine pics on this thread.......of some great coins.

Thanks,
Trez

Attachments

• swasi.jpg
    swasi.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 1,160
Trez said:
The Swastika was struck on a 1/2 real....

Hi Trez, welcome back! I think you disappeared when I started getting a little more serious about collecting and posting here.

I can't wait to hear the full story on the Swatstika. I have thought about that mystery several times in your absence.

Stan

My new favorite Cob, a special thanks to Stan :headbang: This was one of Stan's eBay tips :thumbsup:
A special Cob, enjoy
Sam

Attachments

• IMG_2621_2.jpg
    IMG_2621_2.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 1,200
  • IMG_2626_2.jpg
    IMG_2626_2.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 1,185
That's a nice one, Sam.
I especially like the devaluation counterstrike on the shield. Did the seller give you a full pic of what that counterstrike looks like? Was the coin advertised as coming from either the 'Capitana' or the 'Maravillas'.
Don........

Ok Sam...how much? lol
That one is a definate "ripper" sweet 52, the legends are strong...very nice detail, very.
I gotta say, I love finding cobs with my detector, and I know how some feel about buying cobs on eBay...but my thoughts are "if I can't get to the beach and we have no storms, can't dive to hunt for them (lol) then why not use this source, careful we must be (fakes, copies, repros)... but if one has some knowledge on the subject and enjoys expanding their collection...some deals can be had...some good some bad.
In this case :headbang: :notworthy:

Nice snag Sam,
Trez

Hi Don and thank you. The seller thought it came from the Capitana, but I have the auction catalog and it's not on there.
The seller did not have a lot of information he brought it about ten years ago. Thanks to Stan, I have
Sewall Menzel book of Cobs and was able to look up Information on this type ! I then brought it
straight away.
Counter Stamp Crowned F, Ergueta (E) over Rodas (O)
Thanks Trez, If would have been extra special if I had found It, especially in Australia, they would have to rewrite the history books down here :laughing7: I'm Still looking, East coast of Australia.
Thanks guys, Great to have you back Trez :thumbsup:
Cheers, Sam

Exerpt from seller comment about the coins origin: "found, we believe, in the Florida keys, and perhaps, from a ship called El Capitan".

Obviously little probability in that being the 1733 El Rubi, so he must have been confusing it with the Capitana JesĂşs MarĂ­a off Ecuador, which is most likely. Other candidates include the Maravillas (as Don mentioned) which was carrying a loty of coins salvaged from the Capitana, and to a lesser extent the San Miguel Archangel (Jupiter wreck).

Sam's coin is discussed on page 294 of Menzel's book (Type 1, Po-252). They were only struck for about a month. Estimated production was 110,000 pesos.

Stan

Very nice Trez, any Idea's on how the Swastika got stamped on the coin? The 1/4 reale, I have seen a
similar design on the copper coins?( Maravedies )
Sam

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY said:
Very nice Trez, any Idea's on how the Swastika got stamped on the coin? The 1/4 reale, I have seen a
similar design on the copper coins?( Maravedies )
Sam

Sam,
I pulled the pic of the 1/4 real for a time...in respect of your 1652.
Thanks for posting it......

Trez

New additions to my collection...This one a Lima 1686 four reale, assayer R....Stan

Attachments

• 1686Rb.jpg
    1686Rb.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 1,002
  • 1686Ra.jpg
    1686Ra.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 1,012
This post may sound like an old grandpa bragging
about his grand children :icon_thumright:

But what about those Jupiter Shipwreck Coins :notworthy:
Especially the ones from big kid....
Now there are some beautiful specimens.... And, they went through a dredge pipe!

Was that 8 reale Lima Star Sedwick recently auctioned shot out of a dredge pipe as well?

Our shipwreck continues to produce some beautiful specimens.
One of the most interesting facets about our collection to date,
is the lack of counter stamped or pre-1652 specimens.

Now, why do any of you think that is?

Oh yes... Pretty coins

Attachments

• pict0003.jpg
    pict0003.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 1,001
  • pict0078.jpg
    pict0078.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,005
  • pict0015.jpg
    pict0015.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 1,010
  • pict0003.jpg
    pict0003.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 995
  • pict0078.jpg
    pict0078.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 998
Yes, BigKid4 does have some envious finds. Nice guy too...

I don’t find the lack of counter stamps to be that surprising. If your wreck did occur in 1660 that was nearly ten years after the royal decree directing the devaluation and stamping of Potosi 1650 and 1651 assayer “O” and “E” coins.

The devalued and counter stamped coins were considered suspect at best. Rumors circulated that counterfeit counter stamps were in use and contemporary writings indicate that a number of merchants at the royal fairs in Portobello weren’t accepting the coinage. Besides the difficulty associated with exchanging counter stamped coins, they soon lost favor in other public transactions. The coins were an embarrassing reminder of the greed, corruption, and fraud that occurred at the mint.

By 1660 these coins had become much less common. Many had been melted down and re-coined in the pillar style designs that had become the recognized standard. It is not unreasonable to believe that counter stamped coins were purposely culled from coinage being shipped home to Spain, especially any coins being shipped on behalf of the crown. The stamps may have brought back memories for King Phillip that were less than fond if he became aware of them. Similarly, well to do passengers probably avoided the coins in personal shipments so as to avoid the scrutiny and embarrassment associated with exchanging devalued coins.

Stan

John,

You are seeing as "lus"... of PLUS on the left Pillar.
The left pillar displays PLUS which means in (Latin) "More"
The right pillar will display (U) VLTRA which means "Beyond"
PLUS (U) VLTRA stands for (More Beyond)...
it was a way that Spain let everyone know that their control went beyond it's territory or rule.

Just as Spain views it's control even today :wink:

Trez

Attachments

• 1770.jpg
    1770.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 973
Hi John, Trez answers your question well. I always have thought that PLVS VLTRA was a cool motto. As a shameless plug, it is also the name of a treasure cob newsletter published by Ernie Richards of Enrada Publications:

http://home.att.net/~enrada/

I have the complete collection from 1983 forward. They are a great reference source for the cob collector.

Stan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back