What's new

Fibula?

rebbel31

Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2014
Messages
321
Reaction score
770
Golden Thread
1
Location
Bavaria, Germany
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Xp deus, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20180713_200930.webp20180715_114357.webp

Not sure what it is? Fibula or old nose picker? Found in a field in Bavaria near a medieval town. Age estimate would be awesome too. Thanks for the help.
 
Upvote 0
It crossed my mind (as well as SS's suggestion of an ear scoop) but the patina doesn't sit well with me, in terms of being Roman. I think its post-medieval & Jan has the most compelling evidence so far....

Well, you have a point. It´s corroded rather than patinated.

On the other hand I am under the impression that today with all the agricutural chemistry and liquid manure, things start to corrode in ploughland that have been nice and green for a long time. I have seen a tutulus fibula (I do not have to explain this to you, since you detect roman stuff by stone-weight) that was worse like the obejct in question: all reddish and pitted.

I am not fixed on the stylus identification, either. I is an open loop on one end which is deemed impractical by me, should be more spatula like. For some reason, the link of Jan does not work for me.
 
Upvote 0
I thought this was settled...

bodkin.webp
 
Upvote 0
its both a fibula nose picker well it is!!!
 
Upvote 0
I did not want to nag around, sorry guys.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom