What's new

Field Find

artyfacts

Bronze Member
Joined
May 1, 2010
Messages
1,183
Reaction score
1,355
Golden Thread
3
Location
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
3
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dug this out of a field. The number 5164 is stamped into the metal. There is a little spike (third pic) that possibly was used for piercing a leather strap or wire and the bolted part slid down and would have been tightened holding the strap or wire impaled on the spike. Have found other artifacts with what appears to be a type of cement attached. Any ideas as to what this was used for?
 

Attachments

  • PIC 1.webp
    PIC 1.webp
    26 KB · Views: 566
  • PIC 2.webp
    PIC 2.webp
    22.3 KB · Views: 568
  • PIC 3.webp
    PIC 3.webp
    22.2 KB · Views: 574
Hoping a ID is possible.
 
Upvote 0
Some type of clamping device?
Do you have a reverse of the first picture?
Soup
 
Upvote 0
Not sure but maybe you should look closer at the back of that last pic. I can see some letters and numbers on it. Not real clear but maybe someone else can make it out better than me.

Al
 

Attachments

  • PIC 3[1].webp
    PIC 3[1].webp
    24.7 KB · Views: 340
Upvote 0
Checked again under bright sunlight, there is no additional information on this piece. I guess I have a genuine whatsit. The other pic. Arty
 

Attachments

  • other side.webp
    other side.webp
    12.9 KB · Views: 272
Upvote 0
Broken off a corn/bean planter? :dontknow:

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
It's the thumb piece for an old gate latch... or latching mechanism - like an iron gate.

I've dug some like it... I'll look for the post.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom