SunshineMiner

Jun 2, 2014
Someplace Sunny, California
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Now to find the honey hole! :icon_scratch:

After getting in panning and prospecting, my loathing for classifying into 5 gallon buckets quickly became clear. While an efficient way to go up and down the creeks sampling, for digging all day? No thanks. Even at my younger age it kills the back to bend over so much and shake shake shake :laughing7:
So I did some research, found some people with home made trommels here and there, garnered ideas from many of you, and gave my own a shot. This is the 2nd trommel i've created. The first had an 8" pipe on it, a less sturdy frame, and just had issues with it. Since adding a little 12v vibrating motor with a speed adjuster to the tailings chute to clear rock hang ups, i've had no issues except getting her down to the creek and set up lol.

I've posted it in the Trommeling video as well for those who are looking specifically for trommel inspiration, but this is to just promote diggin' that dirt and gettin that color.... I was going after flood gold today and for 4 hours, i was happy with how it all turned out!

Without Further adooooo,

Hope you enjoy the shorty.

I'll update later with the clean up! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Laws generally have intent and are written for the citizens to understand and follow. The intent of this law CLEARLY pertains to vacuum and suction dredging? Is there some other information that I’m missing which related to using a mechanical or motorized device to move a rock while processing materials to extract gold? Are you interpreting the law in the manner I highlighted above? Are you aware of any citations which relate to that interpretation?

If so, would you take it to the extreme of prohibiting a come-a-long to winch a boulder..that’s mechanized..[/QUOTE I will comment after speaking to Scott Harn, he has been to Wa.Dc 6 times last year to get help for us miners, remember you are in California , you are interpreting the law for your side but the LEO'S and other enforcers interpreted the law on there side and that is the problem with this law.

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In my state we have the Fish and Gold book from the WDFW that tells use exactly how and when we can mine , no uncertainty. California ?

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my state we have the Fish and Gold book from the WDFW that tells use exactly how and when we can mine , no uncertainty. California ?

we have actual state law in regards to mining.

None of them exclude motors . Running pumps spindle's or generators providing electricity to a trommel.

Trying to call any motor within 300 yards of a closed waterway a "dredge"

Does not legally make that motor a "dredge" regardless of how they word it.

Doubly so on a mining claim.

Shoveling gravel into a pick up truck or UTV and moving it to a processing area. does not make that vehicle a dredge.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
we have actual state law in regards to mining.

None of them exclude motors . Running pumps spindle's or generators providing electricity to a trommel.

Trying to call any motor within 300 yards of a closed waterway a "dredge"

Does not legally make that motor a "dredge" regardless of how they word it.

Doubly so on a mining claim.

Shoveling gravel into a pick up truck or UTV and moving it to a processing area. does not make that vehicle a dredge.

I have a feeling, people involved in fighting these new restrictions have looked at the offending laws with a microscope, in an attempt to generate as much as possible from a lawsuit perspective to get it changed or voided...also to drum up support...that does not mean people are being ticketed or fined for using mechanized or motorized equipment to recover gold. That’s just my take on it, and I may be ignorant.

Using a water pump to supply a sluice box that is being used to process gravel in stream does not in any world equate to being a dredge.

Has there been any judges that have supported such a liberal and obscure interpretation?

I’m not trying to be confrontational or argumentative. I really am interested if there are any instances of some regulatory agency pursuing action based on this type of interpretation.

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for the hijack...

Can we see a clean up still?

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a feeling, people involved in fighting these new restrictions have looked at the offending laws with a microscope, in an attempt to generate as much as possible from a lawsuit perspective to get it changed or voided...also to drum up support...that does not mean people are being ticketed or fined for using mechanized or motorized equipment to recover gold. That’s just my take on it, and I may be ignorant.

Using a water pump to supply a sluice box that is being used to process gravel in stream does not in any world equate to being a dredge.

Has there been any judges that have supported such a liberal and obscure interpretation?

I’m not trying to be confrontational or argumentative. I really am interested if there are any instances of some regulatory agency pursuing action based on this type of interpretation.

no there aren't

you are echoing my points. I'm not trying to be argumentative either.

I hate hearing this bs over and over. When no one can back it up or show a single instance where people have been cited for running a motor and having it be a dredging with out permit ticket.

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm still waiting for anyone to explain how they could come to the conclusion that running a motor for mining in California is illegal.

It's been years of hearing this nonsense being repeated. I guess if enough people repeat it it must be true - California logic.

Dredging is not illegal in California. It just requires a permit. The fact there is no permit available is just more - California logic.

Heavy Pans

Sounds like the Marijuana Tax Act Stamp of 1937. They printed the stamps, but you couldn't buy them. Effectively, they prohibited marijuana. They did the same thing with dredging. Go get the permit if you can. Same bureaucratic nonsense from the Californicators.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread