Fired Musket Ball?

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me know when you all are getting tired of my posts regarding musket ball...I'm just addicted to them! I found this last night in the area where I found a dropped musketball. Having very little experience with musket balls, dropped or fired, I have no way of comparing this. Could this be a fired musket ball? The apparent seam seen in picture number one leads me to believe that it could be. Anyone have any pics of a confirmed fired musket ball that I could use for future comparison? Thanks for your patience! ;D

Attachments

• musket 004.jpg
    musket 004.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 1,920
  • musket 002.jpg
    musket 002.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 645

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Re: Fire Musket Ball?

Looks more like camp lead to me. Back in the day, they would use lead to accelerate a fire in a pit. I've found a bunch of fired musket balls in all different sizes up to .69 caliber, and you can usually tell it was once a round bullet. Hit that area some more and see if you can find more.

Upvote 0

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
Re: Fire Musket Ball?

ROMEO,

Most Fired Musket Balls That I Have Found Were Flattened At The Point Of Impact, The Range, The Amount Of The Powder Charge, And What They Struck Would All Determin The Amount Of Destortion Of The Ball. Also GRIB, Is Correct Many Musket Balls Were Chewed, Or Reworked By Soldiers On The March Or In Camp. Hope This Is Helpful To You. trk5capt...

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 498
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 1,478
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions