first day out this year = nice SILVER reward

joncooper1986

Jul 31, 2014
Westhampton, MA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 4.0 9" coil, 11" coil, WS4 w/ Detecting Doodads headphones, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
my first day out this year with my buddy went pretty well. We detected a few victorian era houses here in Western Mass. I was happy when this little guy popped up next to a driveway about 2" down. 1875 20 cent piece with XF detail: its a shame it has black corrosion (most likely from lawn fertilizers over the years). The guy at the coin shop said there is no way to clean that type of damage up. Oh well, I am just happy that the few 19th century silver coins I have found have exhibited some VERY fine detail.
IMG_0162.JPG20 cent 2.jpg20cent.jpg

UPDATE: I am never one to clean coins, but after testing the boiling water/salt/baking soda on aluminium foil process with several junk silvers, I was pretty confident that it would work well and with no detail loss. At the end of the day, I am never selling this coin and would rather be able to see all the detail possible as i appreciate it over the years. That being said, I feel that it turned out nice. Under the microscope I do not see any pitting or loss of detail.

coin cleaned.jpgcoin cleaned2.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 30
I would ask a professional about cleaning it. It does not look pitted? Beautiful coin.

Agreed. I'm thinking that is a $400 coin all day long, and a good cleaning and slabbing is in order. Lol, by now you guys can probably tell what I'm going to say. :laughing7:

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1429492775.203228.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1429492792.060374.jpg

Great find! Here is the current data on the coin.
Tina

Nice find! As mentioned, 20 cent coins are very hard to come by.

Also, general question for all... what is with the trend of hiding great finds with ho-hum titles? Been a few lately where the title is something like "Couple of Scraps" and inside you see they found a 1933 Double Eagle.

These and the three cent nickel trimes, tough find in way of 1800's coinage. Heck more gold coins are found then these and we all know gold is not easy to find vs silver I rarely vote on the banners but this has my vote. Nice find! Yes I would say the average mdr has a better chance finding a gold coin then a 20 cent piece just judging from what I see being found here on tnet.

Last edited:
was on my wish list as a kid - awesome find :thumbsup:

This should have been a banner find, too bad it must have been missed.

STUNNING!

I would love to see that beauty staring up at me!

SO cool.

Yeah that's an Incredible find! Cleaned up nice, Congrats!

That's an incredible find. I even missed the Twenty Center in my Red Book. Congrats and excellent job on cleaning.

Wow, amazing, that's the only 20 center I've seen on here other that Vino's

You found a great coin that anyone would be ecstatic over. Congrats to you:icon_thumright:

Voting banner, these were made for only 3 years!

I didn't see a mint marks. Carson City MM's are popular,

Good for you for getting that baby looking the way YOU like it. You will never make everyone happy....so do what makes you happy. That's a killer coin that we rarely ever see

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back