First Day

Bob B.

Oct 27, 2004
Used my first detector for the first time today. Always want to get into this but never seemed to have the time.
Now I'm retired and my wife and I live on five acres of woods in south western Tn. and we surrounded by at
least 30 acres owned by people who don't even live in the U.S. so I've got a lot of room to roam. I stopped by the local police station today to find out the local laws concerning MD'ing pretty flexible in this area of course I
need to talk to the Forrest Rangers about going in state parks does anyone know the state laws for Tenn.?
My first day out I found old shell casings, a bottle cap and a piece of metal trim, am ready to go at it again tommarrow. Any help with info would be appreciated. ;D

Upvote 0

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome! To the site as well as the hobby. Your going to enjoy both, I belive. Tennesee laws concerning md'ing vary from county to county, but the state laws are as most states. Park lands require permission from the ranger on duty. ( If you get permission from one, get written permission to cut out the arguements with the morons) Most state parks allow detecting but not recovery, which is stupid. You will undoubtedly find, though, that you will be quite busy before long outside the parks and it won't matter. Unless you find a swimming area inside a state park. ( I have several of those) Hope I've helped. Good luck & HH! Chris

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Just look up your state government site on the web and send an email to your parks department. ?I would suspect in Tenessee it would be pretty strict being a big Civil War battle ground state. ?Here in Missouri where there wasn't a whole lot of action you can't use a detector at all on State lands except certain swim beaches. ?Big fines and prison time if you get caught.

OP
OP
B

Bob B.

Oct 27, 2004
Thanks for the info guys, I'm going to try the courthouse tommarrow and try and find out what was on my land
prior to my house, I know several large Civil War battles took place close to here hope I can find something.
Good luck to everyone.

DWT

Jul 13, 2003
Bob : for what it's worth I asked a TN. national forrest ranger about detecting last year in the national forrest an he said that I was more than welcome to use a detector any where in the national forrest but I was not allowed to dig , David

OP
OP
B

Bob B.

Oct 27, 2004
Thanks David, so whats the point? But as said above I'll find alot more areas to hunt other than state parks.
Thanks for the input HH Bob

DWT

Jul 13, 2003
Bob : When I replied to your post , I was talking about my experience with the National Forest not the State parks , There is a difference ,, And you are correct there are enough lands to detect on without getting on State or Federal lands , You should be in a very good area for CW Relics , I hunted over in the Athens AL. area a few years back , Pretty good detecting . David

OP
OP
B

Bob B.

Oct 27, 2004
David, I've always been a Civil War buff and I do have a few relics but not from MD'ing you're right this is one
of the places to live if you're into th CW. I'm now checking into the history of this area. I live close to Shiloh and
Parkers Crossroads I'm hoping acouple Yanks or Rebs wandered onto my property. I understand the NAtional
Forrest problem. I was told by local police that I would have to talk to the forrest ranger on duty at the time I
want to hunt to get permission and to get it in writting was also told that it shouldn't be a problem as long as I stayed away from the CW sites.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread