1,023.9 KB · Views: 38
  • unnamed (8).jpg
    unnamed (8).jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 30
  • unnamed (9).jpg
    unnamed (9).jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 30
Nice looking dress ring.

I can't see the mark in your pictures, but does it look like this, or have any of the other symbols shown?

Ostby.jpg

Those are Ostby & Barton marks, founded in 1879 in Providence, Rhode Island and in business under that name until the 1950s. If it is one of their rings it will likely be semi-precious stone... maybe a cairngorm (smoky quartz), although they also used glass, even for gold rings.

Upvote 0
The sites I hunt rarely produce any Jewelry but this is my first gold ring to date. The marks are 10k OB, from what I can tell is it is far more significant the earlier it was made. The material we find is primarily colonial up to civil war era. Any ideas on the date it was made or the stone would be greatly appreciated.
Nice find

Upvote 0
Nice looking dress ring.

I can't see the mark in your pictures, but does it look like this, or have any of the other symbols shown?

View attachment 2135443

Those are Ostby & Barton marks, founded in 1879 in Providence, Rhode Island and in business under that name until the 1950s. If it is one of their rings it will likely be semi-precious stone... maybe a cairngorm (smoky quartz), although they also used glass, even for gold rings.
Thanks for your input. Yes the Mark is O B 10K, It seems difficult to find the age as those are the only markings.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your input. Yes the Mark is O B 10K, It seems difficult to find the age as those are the only markings.

You're welcome. Ostby and Barton used that mark from 1879 all the way through to the 1950s, so there's no easy way to date it more precisely apart from stylistic comparison to popular ring fashions of the time. Even then, many of their patterns were never actually 'retired'. Stylistically, I would put it somewhere around the 1920s.

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back