First Post: Are most of these just random rocks? Or are they something more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome again but do not say an opinion by members who have years of experience is BS! That is an insult, especially from a newbie. No institution wants your rocks and they are rocks. The "plummet" is just a weird shaped rock. Unusual rocks are everywhere. You can argue all day long and at the end of the day they are still rocks. Thank you.

Last edited:

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are Plummets. Everything you posted is a natural stone. Nothing shows any alteration by man. And I say this with 55 years of experience of collecting, researching, and the handling of thousands upon thousands of artifacts.

Just what is your experience so I can understand why you are berating our very knowledgeable members?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    730.2 KB · Views: 63
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    992.4 KB · Views: 60

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not trolling. You have to believe that.

I know your not, never thought you were, my comment is directed at anyone who calls or implies another member is a troll.

Please understand there are hundreds of years of artifact knowledge and experience here.. our artifact forum is the combination of 2 forums, one of which was shut down and their very knowledgeable members moved here, you may find another forum, but your not going to find a more experienced forum.

Last edited:

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious, what part of Ohio are you from? There is an artifact show in Ripley Ohio at the high school next Sunday, March 8th. I will have 5 tables set up for display and there will be very knowledgeable people there. Bring these by there and you will get your answers. Of course they will be the same you get here.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pride. Tough to chew, difficult to swallow, impossible for some.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always find it interesting when people post asking for advice, etc and when they receive it ( from multiple sources and people who know) they get all bent out of shape if they don’t like what they hear.

Right. And it's also curious how many have already spoken to a "prominent Anthropologist" or took it to the "Geology Department", or the "Archaeology Department", all of whom want more of what they have. These many different, and yet the same, people have consulted all the experts and professionals, and then bring their rocks here. Welcome.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are here to help new members, they are not aware anthropologists are not the know all final word. Please treat new members the way you would want to be treated if you were new.

OP
OP
Indiana_acklac

Indiana_acklac

Feb 29, 2020
Central Ohio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NA's made a lot of different type of plummets and there seems to be no limit to human imagination and artistic talent in producing them. Effigies, SUPERFINE, shell, bone, hard stones, crystals, even pottery. But many of them are what I call Jack Plummets. Badly made but apparently still used. These were not finery/jewelry. Just fishing weights. There is definitely a preponderance of these vs really nice ones. Some of them are FINE but have such "Jack" grooves that we scratch our heads about suspension.... Your stone looks like a river cobble, even glacial. It is not symmetrical. NA's made some bulbous ones but again that one is weird bottomed. The groove doesn't appear to have been worked by grinding and it is also oddly offset. The "top" is a funky other mineral (or iron concreted..) that is oxidizing or breaking down.

Good stuff :occasion14:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Other people would probably call it "personal opinion"

Mods call it attack, please keep personal opinions that are attacks to yourself. Calling or implying a member is a troll is an attack and violates our rules.

OP
OP
Indiana_acklac

Indiana_acklac

Feb 29, 2020
Central Ohio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome again but do not say an opinion by members who have years of experience is BS! That is an insult, especially from a newbie. No institution wants your rocks and they are rocks. The "plummet" is just a weird shaped rock. Unusual rocks are everywhere. You can argue all day long and at the end of the day they are still rocks. Thank you.

1 sec

OP
OP
Indiana_acklac

Indiana_acklac

Feb 29, 2020
Central Ohio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
These are Plummets. Everything you posted is a natural stone. Nothing shows any alteration by man. And I say this with 55 years of experience of collecting, researching, and the handling of thousands upon thousands of artifacts.

Just what is your experience so I can understand why you are berating our very knowledgeable members?

I'll have you know I've been collecting for 3 weeks now. lol.

But seriously, how do you explain that cut in the stone? Or do you all automatically throw items into the "must be natural" category if you can't explain them/haven't seen them before??

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll have you know I've been collecting for 3 weeks now. lol.

But seriously, how do you explain that cut in the stone? Or do you all automatically throw items into the "must be natural" category if you can't explain them/haven't seen them before??

Do do some research on how stones fracture naturally. You will find some very interesting formations made by natural fracturing. Look at Crystals for instance. They fracture into those many sided pieces with points on top.

OP
OP
Indiana_acklac

Indiana_acklac

Feb 29, 2020
Central Ohio
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Do do some research on how stones fracture naturally. You will find some very interesting formations made by natural fracturing. Look at Crystals for instance. They fracture into those many sided pieces with points on top.

That's the thing, I've spent well over 60 hours on the internet/doing research and have yet to come across a Rock with a similar notch. Not to be an *******, but I can't find the first picture, nor the first piece of literature that indicates that fracture is natural. I've spent hours searching.

And I'm sorry, I misspoke, I should have said "How do you explain the cut in the Rock"

Here are a couple of fractured stones I picked up, for reference:

IMG_7516.jpg

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Professional archaeologists have fought the fight your entering and they didn’t win. Do you really think you have a chance? Good luck, I hope you can convince.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread