First Post Ever here. Good Hunt Today.

SouthTexasHunter

Mar 8, 2015
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all. I have been reading this forum for a couple of months and my interest was piqued so I bought a metal detector a couple of months ago and I am HOOKED! Anyway, I have hunted just about every available hour since then and have learned a lot. I went to a local lake today figuring that, with the lake being so low and a lot of ground exposed, it might be a good place to try. There was lots of trash and a few interesting objects uncovered, but the gems of the day turned out to be a couple of .925 silver rings (one with a pearl mounted), a .925 heavy silver medallion, and a 1941 quarter. Many, many clad coins and fishing weights and a great day was had. Soft, easy digging and perfect weather made it all that much better. I'd love to meet up with another local hunter to trade strategies and hunting spots. I'm soon to be 50 years old but I can still go all day as long as the ground is right.

Upvote 7

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations, sounds like you caught the "bug". I would suggest that you take along a camera and take a few pictures or use your phone and get on the forum and find people in your area to hook up with. My habit of buying machines, using them and normally selling them (without a profit) has introduced me to a lot of local people, which introduced me to more people, etc.. It is like a chain reaction, I have learned a lot from other people; facts, opinions and better ideas. Good luck.

OP
OP
S

SouthTexasHunter

Mar 8, 2015
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations, sounds like you caught the "bug". I would suggest that you take along a camera and take a few pictures or use your phone and get on the forum and find people in your area to hook up with. My habit of buying machines, using them and normally selling them (without a profit) has introduced me to a lot of local people, which introduced me to more people, etc.. It is like a chain reaction, I have learned a lot from other people; facts, opinions and better ideas. Good luck.
Good stuff, Pointman. I appreciate the pictures people post here as much as the next guy, but the thought of taking pics while in the field never even crosses my mind. I guess I just get too excited to have the patience to pause and take a pic when all I want to do is get it out of the hole and get back to swingin'. Lol. No doubt I still have much to learn.
Good luck to you as well.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome & good luck!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-net. I see you are from the Corpus Christie area...
Which you may or may not already know is RICH in secretive history...
I am a Gulf of Florida research nut/guy and the waters there were once a haven for pirates... and major trade/stop.
From sand point to Padre areas...
Treasures / valuables have been buried all over the areas around you... and have been found all over from Padre to Port Aransas.
So many have been found that it has substantiated almost all of the "lore's/legends".
Literally hundreds of shipwrecks lie UNFOUND in the waters along the Texas coastline...
At least 20 known ships from “pirate years” still lay in and around the bay around South Padre Island.
You are in a "hotbed" of historical coolness... For me anyway.
I visited once... passing through... For a night and half a day... could feel it there... but no detector on that trip :)
Good luck.

OP
OP
S

SouthTexasHunter

Mar 8, 2015
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-net. I see you are from the Corpus Christie area...
Which you may or may not already know is RICH in secretive history...
I am a Gulf of Florida research nut/guy and the waters there were once a haven for pirates... and major trade/stop.
From sand point to Padre areas...
Treasures / valuables have been buried all over the areas around you... and have been found all over from Padre to Port Aransas.
So many have been found that it has substantiated almost all of the "lore's/legends".
Literally hundreds of shipwrecks lie UNFOUND in the waters along the Texas coastline...
At least 20 known ships from “pirate years” still lay in and around the bay around South Padre Island.
You are in a "hotbed" of historical coolness... For me anyway.
I visited once... passing through... For a night and half a day... could feel it there... but no detector on that trip :)
Good luck.
That is really cool and thanks for the reply! I have lived in this area for my entire life other than a 3-year hitch in the Army and the odd thing about it is up til about a few years ago, the history of the area was only slightly interesting to me. As I've matured, I've become fascinated with it. Actually getting out there with a metal detector only occurred to me about a year ago as I realized that there is still a LOT of stories yet to be told. I found a book online called "The Story of Corpus Christi" written in the very early 1900's by a woman giving many first-hand accounts. It is a very interesting read and I highly recommend it and it is free.
If you ever get back down this way, let me know. Maybe we can do a little diggin' together. I am always interested in learning whatever I can from the good folks on TN.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions