South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went out at first light with MetalHeadz at a site we have been researching for the last few weeks. There are 6 homesites that date from the 1870’s map til around the 1970’s, now forgotten.

It is a mile hike along the old RR tracks then some mountain climbing followed by a half mile of bushwhacking to get to the site we were targeting that morning.

Finally found some random bricks, then the chimney emerged among the trees and remnants of the foundation. Finds for the first couple hours were sparse relics as we loosely worked are way around the foundation.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1547391641.844484.jpg
8 ounce cork top whiskey bottle, glass purpled.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1547391685.523610.jpg
Aluminum thimble cool toy spinning top that works amazingly well, will perfectly spin for 90 seconds, early fidget spinner.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1547391807.200143.jpg

Then I find what Louis and I think is a super rust encrusted canon ball (should have taken a pic, will retrieve on next trip) and this mystery item.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1547391927.309764.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1547391936.813823.jpg

We had less than an hour before we had to start hiking out, not enough time to hit the next site. So we decided to work the old access road area to the site we had been working. Mostly shotgun shells and other typical old woods trash signals then I get a perfect 5” deep 27/28 signal, Field2, 20, mid recovery.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1547393105.001301.jpg

Yes I’m finally on the board with a 1942 Merc. A couple feet away then a perfect 13 signal and out pops a Silver War Nickel. As I continue to work around this old tree I think there must be big iron or a can buried as another 27/28 signal appears to have moved after I dug the hole by about 12”, but quickly learn that there are multiple silver dimes in this hole! 5 Mercs, 1 War Nickel and 2 Jefferson’s. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1547393416.878197.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1547393442.363569.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1547393458.448563.jpg

Definitely a great way to end a hunt!

Good luck out there!

Upvote 69

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW!!!! Incredible day unbelievable finds gotta love a silver spill. Congratulations on killing it.

Oh I have that exact mystery item. Wonder what it is?

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Way to go PA/NC!!! you and metal are really doing some great research and finding some great spots!!! When Truth and I hit a new permission the first thing I do is look for those old tree's that's just irresistible to a kid who loves to climb them and swing from the tree limbs, especially these big live oaks we have down here, I've made some really great finds under those big tree limbs in the past. Congrats on a great hunt and some awesome finds!!! "D"

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to go PA/NC!!! you and metal are really doing some great research and finding some great spots!!! When Truth and I hit a new permission the first thing I do is look for those old tree's that's just irresistible to a kid who loves to climb them and swing from the tree limbs, especially these big live oaks we have down here, I've made some really great finds under those big tree limbs in the past. Congrats on a great hunt and some awesome finds!!! "D"

Possum is master of the slow tree roll he hit a beautiful half last time. Research Research Research

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW!!!! Incredible day unbelievable finds gotta love a silver spill. Congratulations on killing it.

Oh I have that exact mystery item. Wonder what it is?

Thx Truth! I’ve read about so many silver spills, thought it would never happen for me. Definitely still on the silver high!

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thx! My best finds are usually close to the cellar holes, this was definitely a surprise being quite a ways from the home. The woods here are full of 40-60 year old trees, and the big old ones are scattered randomly. To me the area around the older growth trees also means that the dirt in that area has most likely not been moved, so good areas to hit.

MrBlueSkyNM

Apr 18, 2016
New Mexico
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Teknetics T2 Classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a sweet spill! The top is cool too!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx! My best finds are usually close to the cellar holes, this was definitely a surprise being quite a ways from the home. The woods here are full of 40-60 year old trees, and the big old ones are scattered randomly. To me the area around the older growth trees also means that the dirt in that area has most likely not been moved, so good areas to hit.

I’ve never seen a cellar hole.

For that matter I’ve never even seen a basement. Lol

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt I love the silver coin spills when we find em Well done Tommy

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice hunt! I’m liking that top. I’ve never found one.

Good luck sir.

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Hi, Yo Silver away!" Well, something like that anyway, LOL!

Nice work pa-dirt, you da man! Best wishes!

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess that advice about searching under old trees can really pay off. Congratulations on some nice coins. Well done!

tamiller

Greenie
Oct 29, 2018
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe your mystery item is a conway buckle. They were/are used for securing straps on harness.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions