What's new

Fixing Taco'd Items

USCGD

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2019
Messages
34
Reaction score
281
Golden Thread
1
Location
Western NY
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello. I recently found a Civil War soldier's ID badge (see my profile for the post). The badge is quite bent, and I would love to straighten it.
The badge is very thin silver, and I will not attempt to straighten it if there is any chance of it being damaged. Does anyone have experience in this, and could help me out? Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • 20241125_154624.webp
    20241125_154624.webp
    188.8 KB · Views: 157
  • 20241125_154632.webp
    20241125_154632.webp
    161.8 KB · Views: 132
  • 20241125_154640.webp
    20241125_154640.webp
    176.6 KB · Views: 119
  • 20241125_154650.webp
    20241125_154650.webp
    150.3 KB · Views: 112
  • 20241125_154657.webp
    20241125_154657.webp
    166.2 KB · Views: 122
Upvote 9
I would say take it to a jeweler who has experience with silver and get his opinion on fixing it.
 
I would say that silver is a very forgiving material and I suspect that a silversmith artist could easily restore an item such as that without affecting the engraving.
 
Nice find. If you did not want to take it to a jeweler, Wrap it in a shop towel ( blue paper towel) then put it in a flat metal surface ( bench vice) tap it very softly with a plastic tip hammer
 
Nice find. If you did not want to take it to a jeweler, Wrap it in a shop towel ( blue paper towel) then put it in a flat metal surface ( bench vice) tap it very softly with a plastic tip hammer
You must be careful doing this especially if the silver or silver alloy is work hardened, which is often the case with finished products made from silver. The silver must first be heated and annealed.
 
That's a very special find so I'd get a professional's opinion for sure.

But I've straightened a lot of bend Coins, Tokens and Relics.
I just put the bent item in between two pieces of wood and put in a Vice and or hit the wood with a Hammer.
 
It is a beauty!
 
Wow, what a geat find. let us know how it turns out.


Jeff
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom