What's new

Flake Tools Analysis - Washington Beaches

scepter1

Sr. Member
Joined
May 17, 2011
Messages
361
Reaction score
525
Golden Thread
0
Location
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
"MICROSCOPIC ANALYSIS UTILIZED IN THE IDENTIFICATION OF CUTTING,
SCRAPING AND WHITTLING ACTIVITIES ON FLAKE TOOLS"


Hartstene Island (Puget Sound)
frame 2.webp


Qwu?gwes site (Puget Sound)
frame 1.webp


Sunken Village (Columbia River Island between Washington and Oregon)
frame 3.webp


Link to Washington State University Flake Tool micro analysis:

http://www.dissertations.wsu.edu/Thesis/Fall2007/g_loffler_112707.pdf
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nice bladelets, and materials ! I like how you are able to display all sides of the largest piece in the second photo.
 
The two places I beach hunt have a large of amount of debitage, with few "worked" tools. I've been defining a lot of finds as "quick and dirty" tools. Break a rock... Pick a sharp piece... Use it and then toss...

I was surprised that microscopic analysis on beach worn flakes would not only validate that they were in fact used as tools, but also often indicate what work the flakes were used to do.
 
The two places I beach hunt have a large of amount of debitage, with few "worked" tools. I've been defining a lot of finds as "quick and dirty" tools. Break a rock... Pick a sharp piece... Use it and then toss...

I was surprised that microscopic analysis on beach worn flakes would not only validate that they were in fact used as tools, but also often indicate what work the flakes were used to do.


Thanks for the look, and the link ! I've wondered about that myself.
 
Very interesting ! Not much info available for Western Washington artifacts.
 
Thanks for the report and pics of the bladelettes! I remember reading somewhere else on the topic of microscopic proof-- that some blades were used and others simply the result of common and natural breakage. With the absence of pressure flaking along an edge, it's hard to know- or be vaguely accurate concerning whether the piece was used or not. Considering our (as a community) usual jump- making the assumption that if we see no pressure flaking or micro-flaking in a photo someone posts, we dismiss it as 'just a rock'. Other times we figure it to be debitage from the creation of a tool or point. Granted, many folks would never dream of the detailed thought and analysis involved in actually proving such a thing. The piece I read on it was the first eye-opener, but this sheds a who new light on it all. Fascinating stuff! Keep up the good work! Yakker
 
i have that very same flake tool that is illustrated in the abstract! ...and yes, found on a Washington beach.
 

Attachments

  • DSC01502.webp
    DSC01502.webp
    9.2 KB · Views: 106

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom