What's new

Flat-top bullet ID help

Dougie Webb

Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 14, 2019
Messages
424
Reaction score
805
Golden Thread
0
Location
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now that y'all knocked my last two items off the list, I figured I'd add another. I bet this one is easy for someone. Maybe someday I'll learn enough to be useful to this thread!

Put the caliper on this and it appears to be .35 caliber. Overall length of .5 inches. Found in the front yard of my house, which is a suburban neighborhood outside of Atlanta. My neighborhood was nothing but farmland up until about 1965.

B1.webp

B2.webp

B3.webp
 
That's the bottom. It was a semi-jacketed bullet - likely a .357 or .38 Special. (both 0.357" bore).

676402.webp
 
Upvote 0
That's the bottom. It was a semi-jacketed bullet - likely a .357 or .38 Special. (both 0.357" bore).

View attachment 1921265

What about those vertical "stripes?" Does that give any clue? I had a friend look at it today and said he thought it might be from a 348 Winchester.
 
Upvote 0
The stripes are from the rifiling of the barrel it was shot out of.
 
Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wad cutter and semi wad cutter slugs are made of lead with no jacket. Could also be a .35 Rem. Gary
 
Upvote 0
What about those vertical "stripes?" Does that give any clue? I had a friend look at it today and said he thought it might be from a 348 Winchester.

The vertical lines are called the cannelure or crimping groove. The end of the case is crimped against the grooves so it doesn't have the possibility of coming loose. Gary
 
Upvote 0
The vertical lines are called the cannelure or crimping groove. The end of the case is crimped against the grooves so it doesn't have the possibility of coming loose. Gary

Gary, sorry I wasn't clear on that. I was talking about the longer vertical lines running the length of the bullet, not the crimping. XR7ator I think guessed what I was talking about when he said those were rifling marks.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom