Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now that y'all knocked my last two items off the list, I figured I'd add another. I bet this one is easy for someone. Maybe someday I'll learn enough to be useful to this thread!

Put the caliper on this and it appears to be .35 caliber. Overall length of .5 inches. Found in the front yard of my house, which is a suburban neighborhood outside of Atlanta. My neighborhood was nothing but farmland up until about 1965.

B1.jpg

B2.jpg

B3.jpg

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's the bottom. It was a semi-jacketed bullet - likely a .357 or .38 Special. (both 0.357" bore).

676402.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dougie Webb

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's the bottom. It was a semi-jacketed bullet - likely a .357 or .38 Special. (both 0.357" bore).

View attachment 1921265

What about those vertical "stripes?" Does that give any clue? I had a friend look at it today and said he thought it might be from a 348 Winchester.

Upvote 0

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What about those vertical "stripes?" Does that give any clue? I had a friend look at it today and said he thought it might be from a 348 Winchester.

The vertical lines are called the cannelure or crimping groove. The end of the case is crimped against the grooves so it doesn't have the possibility of coming loose. Gary

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dougie Webb

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The vertical lines are called the cannelure or crimping groove. The end of the case is crimped against the grooves so it doesn't have the possibility of coming loose. Gary

Gary, sorry I wasn't clear on that. I was talking about the longer vertical lines running the length of the bullet, not the crimping. XR7ator I think guessed what I was talking about when he said those were rifling marks.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread