What's new

Flintlock Rifle Parts - SOLVED!

Indiana Digger

Hero Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2010
Messages
509
Reaction score
37
Golden Thread
0
Location
E.C. Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle II SL90
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to everyone for their input.
Both pieces in the last photo have been identified as a "trigger guard" and a "mount plate" from a musket!









Hi everyone,

I've been digging on a site that was occupied from 1800-1850 (but had pre & post influences). From this site I've found coins ranging from a 1778 Spanish Half Reale to 1817-1853 Large Cents to 1869 IHs, along with gun parts, knife parts, musket balls, china pieces, and a significant number of Indian Artifacts. Here are some of my latest postings. Look closely at the last picture - it has me stumped. Both pieces about two inches long. Any ideas?

frangodflintlockfinal.webp
frangodknifehandle.webp
frangodtooth.webp
frangoddecorativedoodad2.webp

Happy Hunting,

~Indiana Digger~
 

Attachments

  • frangodflintlockfinal.webp
    frangodflintlockfinal.webp
    83.3 KB · Views: 513
  • frangodknifehandle.webp
    frangodknifehandle.webp
    55.8 KB · Views: 504
  • frangodtooth.webp
    frangodtooth.webp
    27.1 KB · Views: 489
  • frangoddecorativedoodad2.webp
    frangoddecorativedoodad2.webp
    65.7 KB · Views: 496
Re: Flintlock Rifle Parts

The ones on the right are def off of a trigger guard
 
Upvote 0
Those gun parts are from a flintlock rifle. I can see a side plate and the opposite side plate has part of the frizzen pan where the priming powder went. Don't recognize the other items though. Monty
 
Upvote 0
I have never heard the term mount plate in regards to a flintlock, but I believe both of the pieces are part of a triggerguard. They are also most likely part of a rifle or fowler, not a musket. Old gun parts are one of my favorite finds, congratulations!
 
Upvote 0
I'm sorry, but I do not see anything in the pictures,# 1 in particular that would make me think it's part of a trigger guard. And I don't know what you mean by mounting plate? On each side of a muzzle loading weapon there are side plates. On one side it will be flat and the purpose of the flat side is to hold on the other side plate that has the lock and frizzen pan where the priming powder is placed to set off the shot. There is a part that closes down over the priming powder that seems to be missing. The part missing is the piece of metal that the flint on the hammer strikes that causes a spark and ignites the priming powder. Most of the frizzen pan has rusted away except the curved part that holds the priming powder. Now that's what I am seeing but I don't know what the rest of that rusted metal could be? And that's all I know abut that! :wink: Monty
 
Upvote 0
Monty....you can honestly say you do not beleive the two pieces in pic#1 just about dead center arent pieces of a trigger guard??C'mon

There is no doubt in the second pics either.Also side plates/lock plates
 
Upvote 0
Nope. don't see it, but I suppose if you use a great deal of imagination and give those long skinny parts the proper bends and curves it could be parts of a trigger guard. it's just not something I would swear to absolutely. Monty
 
Upvote 0
No imagination needed....thats what they are

Need more??I have more??
 

Attachments

  • trig.webp
    trig.webp
    15.3 KB · Views: 557
  • trig2.webp
    trig2.webp
    18.1 KB · Views: 384
  • trig3.webp
    trig3.webp
    16.3 KB · Views: 401
Upvote 0
Why sure I see them in the latest pictures. For some reason these parts didn't show up on my computer. That's strange. Sure , now I agree, side plates and of course a trigger guard! Monty
 
Upvote 0
The last two item picture look like a "pinned" inlay (the one with the hole) and the rear part of a ramrod slide.
 
Upvote 0
Monty said:
Why sure I see them in the latest pictures. For some reason these parts didn't show up on my computer. That's strange. Sure , now I agree, side plates and of course a trigger guard! Monty

I knew you knew better!!You had me worried!! :laughing7: :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
And you had me worried! I thought you were seeing things! For some reason I was only getting the first two pictures from the top and it just wasn't there! My computer is getting old and has been acting up lately. My son is a computer geek and supervises computer systems for oil companies so I hope he can take a look at it. Monty
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom