Election day, Sept. 30, 1911 is when the Bayless paper mill dam broke and sent water rushing towards the town of Austin. It was called 'The dam that could not break". 78 peple lost their lives
Election day, Sept. 30, 1911 is when the Bayless paper mill dam broke and sent water rushing towards the town of Austin. It was called 'The dam that could not break". 78 peple lost their lives
You are all correct on that, occasionally stuff still shows up. According to the Historical Society records up here in Potter County, the Austin flood washed away eleven (some say twelve) safes of various sizes. There is no confirmation that any of those safes have ever been found. In regards to the jewelry, indeed there was a very large (for those days) jewelry store in that town. I have lived here most of my life and know more than a few people who live in Austin (their families have lived there a long time) but I have never heard of anyone finding more than occasional item here or there. Incidentally, below Austin all the way to the next town of Costello, there is a lot of field and brush land that is just lying there waiting for someone (like me) to start metal detecting. I only wish I had jumped on this hobby years ago. It seems crazy, but no one around here seems to be interested in MD'ing what with all the "buried and lost treasures" scattered around Potter County...hope this helps...potter poker ...PS...I have access to much detailed history of Austin before, during, and after the flood, more than this space allows, if you are really interested, contact me at ccole@zitomedia.net.