What's new

For the penny/copper people

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
Joined
May 29, 2008
Messages
1,256
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Location
Rhode Island
Bought 4 - $25 boxes the other day and spent the last few nights going through them with the TV on in the background.

I figured I would keep things seperate so I could tally the finds from the $100 so other penny/copper hoarders can check out how well I am doing from the straight from the box, rip and tear rolls so they can compare it to their own boxes, or to hand rolls, etc.

In $100, I ended up with 68 - 98% copper pennies, and probably a dozen or two newer canadian pennies that I threw right back in the junk pile.

I also ended up with 51 - wheat pennies, the oldest of which was a 1918-S which I still needed for my book (still need lots of old wheats).

Now for the copper:

I stopped and counted after the first 50 and then second 50 as well incase there was a good box to throw off the averages.

The first $50 gave me just over $12.50 in 95% copper, while the second $50 gave me just over $12.00 in 95% copper. The yeild per box seems a rather consistent 25% of the coins.

How have the rest of you been doing on yeilds?

~Dave
 
Upvote 0
Once I start on boxes I'll let y'all know. On a side note though my family has known I've been doing the "coin thing" lately and my mom gave me a few wheaties and a 2006 commonwealth of bahamas penny. That was pretty freaking cool. Has starfish on the obverse and the national crest on the reverse, really cool! Has anyone else ever ran into one of these cents?
 
Nice work on the wheaties and the bahamas penny. I've run into a few of those starfish among my hunts. When you search enough pennies you will find a few different odd coins. Canadian is really common... those starfish aren't too rare. You also get the ones with the pig on the back now and then. Then you got the "new penny" the pences... the different euro coins... and then the really bizzare stuff that you only get like once. Some of the darn things don't even fit in the roll and you can see the big bulge.

You find more unique stuff in handrolls than with the rip and tears because you can get different sizes, though you still find a lot of canadian in the rip and tears and the occasional other foreign coin.

~Dave
 
Pretty good and typical NE results for you BB.
Texas metro areas average 19-20% Copper & 5-6 wheats per $25 box.
Sometimes you score well on copper and wheats with bags or CWR's.
Since the Ryedale acquisition last Oct. I've managed to clean out well over one ton of copper (300,000+), 7,500+ wheats & 12 IH's.
Plenty of skunk boxes with the Brinks/Coinstar problem down here also.

phillips24 said:
Once I start on boxes I'll let y'all know. On a side note though my family has known I've been doing the "coin thing" lately and my mom gave me a few wheaties and a 2006 commonwealth of bahamas penny. That was pretty freaking cool. Has starfish on the obverse and the national crest on the reverse, really cool! Has anyone else ever ran into one of these cents?

Yes- probably 25-30 of them, lots of Panama pennies here, too. Dimes are the most common find in the non-penny category.
Keep it up and good luck!
 
Yeah i run at 25% here in va too. Want to make sur eI didnt misunderstand when you said you threw the candaians in the junk pile does that mean you deposited them back? If you would be willing to set them aside Id be willing to take them off your hands. Ive actually been thinking of running a promotion kinda like a can coin drive atleast locally where people can donate their can change and I woould make a donation to the local paws which helps animals. Its just a thought. Ive already decided to donate 200 dollars tot hem regardless but if anyone would be willing to set back the can coins they dont want you are more than welcome to send them to me and I would donate USD to Paws. A few cents here and there would add up pretty quickly. The reason I wanted to do this is first off to help animals which i care dearly about and secondly i plan to take a trip to can within the next year and figure Ill rive up with a bunch of change lol. Anyway just a though. Very good totals though. Congrats.

-K
 
You got it right. I threw them in with the post 82's. I am going to dump them all at a coin machine today, which should eat a few up and then spit a couple back at me. Anything it spits back goes into my canadian coin bag. Was never sure why I even had a bag to keep that worthless coin in...

But since you seem to have an idea for what to do with it, perhaps it will end up in your hands... dunno.

Have you made a post about this somewhere? I'm sure you would get a fair amount of interest if you started your own thread about it if you haven't already. I can think of a couple forums on TN that it would fit into.

~Dave
 
I bought 2 $10 trays of machine rolled pennies on Tuesday, took out the wheaties and separated the pre-82's. I dumped all the zinc at a Coinstar, and the penny count was 868.
 
Dave I havent made a post yet. It was just an idea that Ive had and threw it out there. Im in the middle of 4 12-14 hours shifts at work and just been dragging when home lol. I do need to make a post though because alot of people dont keep any of their Canadian coins. Keep us updated on your penny finds. I know im in the minority but I like the penny and nickel posts better than the half posts lmao. Dont know if youve been there but there is an excallent penny site and forum called realcent yous hould check it out.

-K
 
I keep all the foreign coin I find. One can has all Canadian, one for Euro and one for the rest.
Last I looked I had over $50 Canadian. My idea was to accumulate a big pile and then sell it at a discount to someone who can use it.
Yesterday while I was dumping I saw a big bag in the back of the coin machine that had all the junk collected from the machine. I asked about it and the teller said it had been there a long time and if I wanted to, i could aske the head teller about it. I will next time I'm there at the same time she is.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom