What's new

For those curious of Dollar boxes...

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,363
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
I did one on Tuesday. Here are my results:

1979P: 171
1979D: 32
1979S: 37
1980P: 8
1980D: 19
1980S: 4
1999P: 11
1999D: 1
2000P: 500
2000D: 158
2001P: 52
2001D: 7

Nothing exciting at all. No proofs, no 2002+. I did not check the '79Ps for wide or narrow rim variety.

It was fun, which is the point, but it also lacked variety and excitement. I doubt I'll be doing dollars again anytime soon.
 
Upvote 0
now if you could only get an Ike box.................. 8)
 
Good info. I'm surprised you didn't get President dollars. I was in the habit of asking for SBAs as until recently I still needed the 1999-D for my folder. I still always ask for coin rather than paper dollars. I very rarely get SACs anymore, let alone SBAs. It's all Presidents ever since they came out.
 
I just recently got the 1999D as well, maybe less than a year ago I would guess. I have a feeling this box of dollar coin was sitting in my bank's main vault for a while because I have heard that the SBA's are becoming increasingly unused, and it seemed odd for me that 20 percent or so of all the dollars in the box were SBA's. I'd like to do some more boxes of dollars now that I think of it just to see what will happen with my stats.
 
The dollar coin situation in the US is just odd. Two years of minting the SBA was enough to last for 20. Then the SAC dollar comes along, but after two years we don't need any more of those either. Now they are making tons of the President dollars in order to crank out four designs a year. And what of the SAC dollar? How about an increase in production with a new series of reverses!

http://www.dailymail.com/story/Life/2007061336/Bill-would-revamp-Sacagawea-coin-look/

Where do all these coins go? I wish we'd stop wasting money printing $1 FRNs and use them!
 
Don’t you guys understand the coins are going under Americans beds, people are saving them? You may ask why would the mint do that? The answer is the mint is selling money, it not for circulation, their making the dollar/quarters, to sell money. They make the coin for nothing and sell it for a dollar. Ask your friends and family they all have the coins stashed away, and that’s the point. As long as they can they will keep this up, they know we won’t change to the dollar coin with the dollar bill out, and that’s what they want. Look at the Ikes. Where are they? Under peoples beds and in there safes. Case and point.
 
I would be curious to see if Coinstar and the more widespread availability of coin counter machines has increased the amount of coin in circulation. I would bet it has.

Yes, the government finally caught on that making coins for collectors could be a profit center. Presidential wives coins?! C'mon! Anyhow, it offsets the costs of making pennies and nickels that cost more than face value to make.

With current mintages, almost no modern coin is worth "collecting". The population of the US is like 280,000,000. The mintage of the 1979D Anthony dollar was 288,000,000. That's one for every American and 8 million to spare! And most Americans are not coin collectors.

Ike dollars do have smaller mintages, and the 73's are worth keeping if you can find them. But the bicentennial Ikes? 117,337,000 minted? Circulated Ikes are never going to be really truly *worth* any more than $1 unless the government starts recalling them and melting them, and I don't see that happening. We all just need to stop hoarding the circulated Ikes. Better off cashing them in and buying one nice Unc/Proof or Silver Ike that will really appreciate in value.
 
Don’t you guys understand the coins are going under Americans beds, people are saving them? You may ask why would the mint do that? The answer is the mint is selling money, it not for circulation, their making the dollar/quarters, to sell money. They make the coin for nothing and sell it for a dollar. Ask your friends and family they all have the coins stashed away, and that’s the point. As long as they can they will keep this up, they know we won’t change to the dollar coin with the dollar bill out, and that’s what they want. Look at the Ikes. Where are they? Under peoples beds and in there safes. Case and point.

Yup! Despite some people at the Mint who would genuinely like to see dollar coins circulate, I think for the most part, they don't care, as long as they can make a profit---which they do!



Better off cashing them in and buying one nice Unc/Proof or Silver Ike that will really appreciate in value.

I agree.

And if I weren't able to sell Ikes at more than face value, I would LOVE to use them to make purchases.

I wish we'd stop wasting money printing $1 FRNs and use them!

Me too. I like to use them, but sometimes I forget. It's a shame a dollar isn't worth too much anymore. Perhaps if it were they'd circulate?


And the poor Susan B. She never circulates much, collectors don't appreciate her, she is sometimes mistaken for quarters, she has 0% silver, she has to compete with the Sac dollar, and now there's the Presidential dollar series that she must contend with. Poor gal.


And why isn't it possible to order Ikes? I've heard the reasons, all of them true, but come on, there ought to be a way. They're rare, but not that rare.

And a question, do any coin counters count Ikes?
 
The FED makes their $0.95 the instant they sell a coin to a bank. From there it makes no difference whether the coin sits under a bed, bounces around in circulation, or falls into the Mariana Trench. The FED has already made their money. The number of coins sitting under under beds is nothing compared the number that would exist in circulation if they replaced FRNs. The FED would make tons more money in this case.

Or is there a flaw in this reasoning?

The FED makes NO money when a bank buys President dollars, but sells back all their IKEs SBAs, and SACs. And judging by the very precipitous decline in availability of these coins at banks and in stamp machines when the Presidents came out, that is exactly what has happened.
 
Very interesting. I tried $500 dollars worth - didn't find a 1999D . I'll try a box sometime soon. There've got to be some post 2001's out there.

B
 
I have found some post-2001s, namely I have 2002P and 2002D, 2003P and 2003D as well. However strangely enough these actually came to me in real circulation (stamp machines primarily). I thought judging upon my luck with receiving the post-2001s fairly easily I would have found a few in the box, but that was not the case.
 
Wes_ said:
The FED makes their $0.95 the instant they sell a coin to a bank. From there it makes no difference whether the coin sits under a bed, bounces around in circulation, or falls into the Mariana Trench. The FED has already made their money. The number of coins sitting under under beds is nothing compared the number that would exist in circulation if they replaced FRNs. The FED would make tons more money in this case.

Or is there a flaw in this reasoning?

The FED makes NO money when a bank buys President dollars, but sells back all their IKEs SBAs, and SACs. And judging by the very precipitous decline in availability of these coins at banks and in stamp machines when the Presidents came out, that is exactly what has happened.
Correction... The FED makes money from the printing of bills. The U.S. Treasury (via the US Mint) makes money from coins. If we were to replace the dollar bill with the dollar coin, the FED stands to lose lots of seignorage. This is why the dollar bill hasn't died. (Also, the interests of the cotton industry and the Crane paper company has some influence.)
 
If we were to replace the dollar bill with the dollar coin, the FED stands to lose lots of seignorage. This is why the dollar bill hasn't died. (Also, the interests of the cotton industry and the Crane paper company has some influence.)

Good points. Additionally, metal lasts a lot longer than paper. The more Federal Reserve Notes they print, the higher their profit. In other words, "if it ain't broke..."
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom