What's new

For those that dry sand hunt

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2006
Messages
1,234
Reaction score
257
Golden Thread
0
Location
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I'm In ocean city Maryland for the week and I'm using a Tesoro Vaquero, so I definitely can't do any water hunting. Even just detecting wet sand is difficult, I tried tonite and after a few ghost signals I gave up. I may try again if I feel the need, but I'm just wondering for those who have been to ocean city or just those who hunt dry sand, what spots do you find to be better than others? People spread out quite a bit hear so it's hard to know. Also I'm on 54th street, so should I go down more towards the boardwalk? I was told 45th and lower would be better
 
Upvote 0
GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR HUNTING!!! :icon_thumleft: Hope you have some fun and get some sweet finds!! share your results wiith us!! I do not know the area so can not help there.
 
Start gridding from the high water line (where the water came up to at high tide). Start gridding 30-foot long (detecting the dry sand along the high water line) sections at a time. This is called the "towel" or "umbrella" line. It is usually 75-feet deep (from the high-tide mark going inland). Work it tight and slow at first light or after the folks go home. The Vaquero is a KILLER in dry beach sand! Stay out of the wet. Big Gold!
 
Good luck . Hope you find a nice piece of gold!!!
 
Terry is right the towel lines early in the morning. I think the biggest mistake people make (to include me) starting out that have done a lot of dirt digging is trying to avoid digging targets. About the only thing i avoid is iron and some shallow bottle caps...... but you have to learn to kick the shallow targets like gum wrapper and dig it all for the best success.

Dew
 
The only thing about ocean City is that they clean the beaches and sift a lot of the dry sand. Are there any spots that may not get that well. Maybe by the high water mark? They sift 4-6inches so I could get away with what managed to sty deeper. Thanks for the tips
 
Start gridding from the high water line (where the water came up to at high tide). Start gridding 30-foot long (detecting the dry sand along the high water line) sections at a time. This is called the "towel" or "umbrella" line. It is usually 75-feet deep (from the high-tide mark going inland). Work it tight and slow at first light or after the folks go home. The Vaquero is a KILLER in dry beach sand! Stay out of the wet. Big Gold!

Terry is right on. Remember, not everyone looses stuff worth finding and someone may have worked the same area and picked up the good stuff before you got there. It takes a lot of time and experience to get the hang of it and have any success. The saying goes, "Even a blind hog finds a nut once in a while." The blind hog is the lucky one, but if you want to find stuff worth keeping on a regular basis, you got to work at it, and work at it again. Happy Hunting
 
Sending you a pm.
 
Thanks for the responses so far, I'm just hoping I might come away with something this year. I don't go to the beach a lot so I try to get out as much as I can here
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom