kenley
Hero Member
- Joined
- Nov 2, 2008
- Messages
- 547
- Reaction score
- 7
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Seminole County, Ok.
- Detector(s) used
- GTI 2500
- Primary Interest:
- Metal Detecting
- #1
Thread Owner
The Story: In 1959, my father worked in the Sahara of North Arica in a undisclosed country. After sand storms, his little group of friends would climb in a Land Rover and explore the bare ground and rock ledges that had been exposed by the shifting sand. On this ocassion, they found a protected ledge in an ancient creek bed that was littered with Ostich egg fragments. They were all broken except for two. Dad also picked up a couple of dozen flint arrowheads and assorted tools. One of the shells was broken on the ride back to camp. I have the other.
The obvious: The egg shells had a hole in the end so that they could be used to carry a commidity or water. I am sure that they wern't left there the week-end before by nomads on a picnic. It has always been refered to as Dad's pertified ostrich egg.
The problem: How do I find out it's age and or value? If I disclose the country of origin, what's to keep that gov't from demanding it back for a museum display?
I didn't think to put a ruller in the photo. Hell, it's ostrich egg size.
Any comments/suggestions will be appreciated.
The obvious: The egg shells had a hole in the end so that they could be used to carry a commidity or water. I am sure that they wern't left there the week-end before by nomads on a picnic. It has always been refered to as Dad's pertified ostrich egg.
The problem: How do I find out it's age and or value? If I disclose the country of origin, what's to keep that gov't from demanding it back for a museum display?
I didn't think to put a ruller in the photo. Hell, it's ostrich egg size.
Any comments/suggestions will be appreciated.







